Football Practice.

The regular players on the University eleven did not line up for practice yesterday afternoon because of the stiffness which still exists as a result of the game with Pennsylvania. They will resume work again today in secret practice. The substitutes played the second eleven yesterday and had considerable difficulty in advancing the ball. As the men had never before played together, team play was lacking and the whole offense was generally ragged. On the defense, however, the second eleven could make no gains, owing to the vigorous tackling of the substitute forwards. The second eleven has dropped the guardsback style of play, and is now developing a new offense. The team played well together and held the substitutes for downs on their own ten yard line.

Two short halves were played, in which the substitutes scored twice. Parker returned the kick-off, and gained fifteen yards. The second could not gain, and started to play a kicking game. The substitutes gained steadily, until Parker made a fair catch upon the forty-two yard line; and Warren kicked a goal from the field. During the remainder of the half the substitutes rushed the ball down the field by varying straight football with occasional double passes. At the ten yard line, the second eleven made a stand, and secured the ball on downs when time was called.

At the beginning of the second half, Gierasch who took Parker's place blocked Clay's punt and fell on the ball across the goal line. The rest of the time was taken up by punting and ineffectual rushing.

Warren played a good game except for his old fault of running into the line too high. His kicking was a feature. A. R. Sargent was in excellent form and will be a strong substitute for Boal. Gierasch played his usual dashing game and was a great help on the defense. Eaton and Stevenson were both injured in the practice. The line-up follows: Substitutes.  Second Eleven. Ristine, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Peyton, Spratt. A. R. Sargent, l.g.  r.g., Wheeler. C. Sargent, c.  c., Greene. Hollingsworth, Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Lee. Eaton, Stevenson, Peyton, r.t.  l.t., Talbot. Hawkins, r.e.  l.e., Gray, Cooper. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley. Parker, Gierasch, l.h.  r.h., Jaynes, Martin. Warren, r.h.  l.h., J. S. Lawrence, Noyes, Putnam. Brayton, Devens, f.b.,  f.b., R. Lawrence, Clay.