Princeton Debate.

The Princeton debate will be held this year on Dec. 16. The question will be, "Resolved, That the English claims in the controversy with the South African Republic are justifiable." As Harvard has chosen the subject, Princeton will have the choice of sides. Her option will be announced Nov. 12. The trial debates will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 7, Saturday, Nov. 11, and Thursday, Nov. 16. At the first trial, when twelve men will be chosen, speeches will be limited to five minutes. At the second trial there will be ten-minute speeches and six men will be chosen from the twelve. The last trial will be a formal debate with twelve-minute opening speeches and five-minute rebuttals, three men speaking on a side as in the intercollegiate contests.

The Coolidge debating prize of $100 will be awarded as heretofore to the man considered by the judges to have made the best showing in all three trials. Professor Baker, Professor Ames of the Law School and Senator Dallinger have consented to be the judges, and if possible they will act at all three of the trials.

All men intending to speak at the first trial should leave their names at 9 Hollis before 12 o'clock Tuesday. The order of the speakers, which will be decided by lot, will be posted refore 5 o'clock that afternoon