THE FOOTBALL SQUAD

Thirty-three Men Reported for Early Fall Practice on September 18.

The University football squad began practice on Monday afternoon, September 18. Thirty-three men reported and the number has steadily increased since then until there are now nearly sixty men on the squad.

B. H. Dibblee and John MeMaster immediately assumed their responsibilities as head coach and trainer respectively. W. C. Forbes, last year's will act as consultant coach in the intervals of business and when he recovers from an injury received from the fall of a horse. The plan to be followed this year will be practically the same as was so successfully carried out last year. Only the most promising Freshmen will be retained after the Freshman squad begins work. A determined effort has been made to bring out the best ability of the University and it has been successful in point of numbers and quality of material to be tried. The coaches have spent all their time on the new candidates in order to cut down the squad of inexperienced players as soon as possible. There will be no reduction of the squad, however, before the end of the week. Last year's policy of careful training, the gradual formation of the University eleven, and of straight, hard and simple football will be followed again this year.

The members of last years team who returned to try for the eleven, in addition to Captain Burden, are Boal, Hallowell, Daly, and Warren. Reid will begin work regularly with the football squad when the fall baseball practice stops. W. D. Eaton '02, is trying for one tackle and C. O. Swain '00 came out for the other on Thursday. M. Donald '99 will be in the Law School and cannot be counted on to play this year. F. L. Burnett '01 may be prevented from playing, but will try for tackle if he does come out. Little comment can be made on the new men beyond the general statement that from present appearances they cannot be depended upon and that the vacant places on the team must be filled from last year's substitutes and Freshmen. The men with experience on former squads in the university who are now trying are: C. C. Brayton '01, J. H. Lee '00, G. A. Sawin '01, E. H. Green '02, L. Motley '02, E. Motley '02, E. Lewis '02, E. Gray '00, C. Sargent '02, B. Z. Kasson '01, E. Kendall '00, S. G. Ellis '01, A. Devens '02, B. Taylor '01, P. A. Carroll '02, J. D. Barney '00, J. N. Trainer, Jr., 00, R. H. Goodell '02, G. Parker '00, C. Blagden '02, D. Campbell '02, A. W. Fuller'00, A. W. Ristine '02, R. S. Rainsford '02, J. Lawrence '01, J. S. Lawrence '01, S. Whitney, '01.

The Preliminary work was light at first but was quickly increased as the week advanced. Morning work consisted of practicing starts, dumb-bell drills, mile runs, and on Thursday tackling the dummy. In the afternoon practice running was omitted, but on Thursday there was the first line-up for breaking through. On Friday two elevens were lined up against each other to break through on kicks. Sawin, Daly and Hallowell kicked. There was no practice on Saturday afternoon, but the squad was divided into four elevens, which ran through six single plays. The training table begins on Thursday.

Yesterday morning's practice was light, in anticipation of a line-up in the afternoon. After a little practice in starts and in dropping on the ball, the line men tackled the dummy while the backs punted. Then the four elevens ran through signals for about fifteen minutes.

In the afternoon, the squad was given a little rudimentary work and the four elevens ran through a few plays. Afterwards, Burden's eleven lined-up against Parker's. Kendall and Warren made several long gains around the ends for the former, but they were unable to gain to any extent through the line. On defensive work Burden's eleven is already strong. Next, Fincke's eleven was matched against Gray's and proved much the superior. Ellis and Gierasch did some excellent ground-gaining around the ends and through tackles. Each pair of elevens played two short halves of five minutes each, one touchdown being scored in each half by. Burden's and Fincke's elevens respectively. P. D. Haughton '99, J. L. Knox '98, W. H. Lewis L. S. '93, J. Upton '93, and N. Cabot '98, assisted Dibblee in the coaching.

The line-ups of three elevens follow: Burden's eleven-Campbell, l.e., Swain, l.t., Boal, l.g.; Sargent, c.; Burden, r.g.; J. Lawrence, r.t.; Hallowell, r.e.; Daly, q.b.; Kendall, L.H.; Warren, r.h.; Sawin, f.b.

Fincke's eleven-Ristine, l.e.; Barney, l.t.; Rainsford, l.g; Greene.; Trainer, r.g.; Lewis, r.t.; Cooper, r.e.; Fincke, q.b.; Gierasch, l.h.; Ellis, r.h.; Devens, f.b.

Parker's eleven-Hawkins, l.e.; Lee, l.t; Barnard, l.g; Wheeler, c.; Hatch, r.g.; Spratt, r.t.; Parker, r.e.; E. Motley, q.b.; J. S. Lawrence, l.h.; Jaynes, r.h.; Brayton, f.b.

The Harvard schedule follows:--

Sept. 30 Williams at Cambridge.

Oct. 4. Bowdoin at Cambridge.

Oct. 7. Wesleyan at Cambridge.

Oct. 11. Amherst at Cambridge.

Oct. 14. West Point at West Point.

Oct. 18. Bates at Cambridge.

Oct. 21. Brown at Cambridge.

Oct. 28. Carlisle Indians at Cambridge.

Nov. 4. Univ. of Penn. at Philadelphia.

Nov. 11. Penn. State College at New Haven.

Nov. 18. Harvard at Cambridge.

Nov. 25. Princeton at New Haven.

The foot-ball season tickets, entitling the owner to a seat in a specially reserved section at all home games except

That with Yale, and to the privilege of purchasing before the general sale two reserved seats for the Yale game at Soldiers Field Nov. 18, may be obtained in Cambridge at the Harvard Co-operative, Leavitt & Peirce's, Amee's, 19 Grays, and at the box office on the afternoon of any game. Tickets may be obtained in Boston at Wright & Ditson's, Washington St., and at J. P. Lovell Arms Co., Washington St. Price, $3.00