THE SEMITIC BUILDING

The Money was Secured for its Erection During the Summer

Last. January, Mr. Jacob H. Schiff of New York, offered the sum of $25,000 toward the erection of a Semitic Building at Harvard provided an equal sum from other sources could be secured by July 1 last. The object of this offer was to provide a suitable home for the Semitic Museum, the departmental library, and the Semitic instruction. At present the museum collections are in the Peabody Museum, the library in Sever Hall, and the instruction divided between several buildings, In asking for contributions toward the enterprise, the curator of the Semitic Museum set forth its many advantages to members of the University as well as the citizens of Cambridge. President Eliot gave strong support to the enterprise.

A vigorous campaign was entered upon in Boston and Vicinity, and the response was generous. But as July 1 drew near there was still a lack of several thousand dollars. Mr. Schiff was informed of the situation, but instead of consenting to an extension of the time, he offered to increase his gift to $50,000 provided the other subscribers would allow their contributions to "go to the fund from which purchases for the collection are being made." This offer was accepted without dissent, and the University will accordingly have the desired Semitic Building in addition to $19,240 for increasing the museum collections.