International Chess Match

Preparations are now being made for the international chess match which is to be played this year by cable between Cambridge and Oxford, on one side, and Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Princeton on the other. There will be six players on each team. The make-up of the American team is settled by agreement among the colleges at the intercollegiate match in New York. The six best players from the four colleges are generally chosen, although an attempt is always made to represent each college.

The trophy played for is offered by Mr. I. N. Rice of New York. It has been won twice by Cambridge and Oxford and, unless the American colleges win this year, the shield becomes the property of the English colleges. The game has been usually played by the American colleges in New York, the Associated Press furnishing the cable; but this year Harvard is making an effort to have the match played in Boston.

The Executive Committee of the Chess Club has decided that the men in the final round of the tournament, now being played, shall be retained as a permanent squad from which to develop the team to represent Harvard in the international match. There are seven men competing in the final round and of these four will be chosen Dec. 10 to represent Harvard in the intercollegiate match at New York on December 27, 28 and 29.