A Ladies' Dining Room at Memorial.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I suppose every visitor to Cambridge notices at once that there is no suitable place where ladies may be taken for a meal. It is proposed to incorporate a ladies' dining room in the new Harvard Union, but as some time may elapse before the completion of the Union, a present remedy for the existing evil seems in order. Why should not the small room leading off the main dining hall at Memorial be devoted to this purpose? It would be an easy matter to furnish it tastefully, replacing the clumsy tables and chairs by something lighter and more comfortable. Waitresses could be engaged for the room, and by means of the outer door visitors could enter without causing a riot in the main hall.

As to the expense of the scheme there would, I am sure, be little trouble. It would be easily and cheerfully met by the general account, as there is no reason why such a room should not be nearly self-supporting. The loss of four out of so many tables could be arranged for by admitting fewer new men to the association next year. 1901.