New Observation Train for Boat Race.

Mr. J. W. Curtiss, chairman of the committee in charge of the Harvard-Yale boat race, has put into effect several new plans for the comfort of visitors at New London on June 28. Among these is a new observation train, which is being built by the Central Vermont Railway from an original design. The train will be equipped with every modern appliance for safety, including air-brakes and an air-whistle communicating with the engineer. In addition to a patent interlocking coupler, safety chains will be added between the cars, and with the platforms connecting the cars, the train will have the same solidity of motion as a wide vestibuled train of parlor or sleeping cars.

The entrance to each car will be in the centre of one side, with an aisle passing up, to the right and left of which will be four rows of seats. These are all high backed with sufficient rise for the occupants of each seat to have a clear view over those in the seat below. A heavy plank floor between the seats and a dashboard at the back and bottom give rest and prevent injury to clothing. The arched roof of the cars is so supported that no obstruction whatever exists to a clear view, while at the same time protection is given against showers. The cars are decorated and painted in crimson and blue.