THE UNIVERSITY CLUB

Plans are now Completed.--Arrangement of the Building.

The plans for the Harvard Union, the gift of Major Henry Lee Higginson, Jr., h.'82, have been drawn with the idea of making the building harmonize with its surroundings, instead of being in itself a striking example of up-to-date architecture. The exterior gives an imposing yet simple colonial effect. It will be built of dark red brick with trimmings of buff Indiana sand stone, to correspond with the style of the old buildings in the Yard.

The principal entrance to the building is on the north, but on the Harvard street side there will be an entrance through a round covered pavilion which is likely to prove more convenient and more popular than the main door. This pavilion will be built detached from the body of the house so as to provide a sheltered place on which to sit outdoors, witho t darkening the interior as a covered piazza would do. This entrance opens direct y into the large living-room on the first floor, which is to be the principal room of the building, both architecturally and from the standpoint of the life of the club. This room will be forty feet wide by ninety feet long and will stretch up through all three floors to a roof of open timbers. There will be a high wainscot of oak around all the walls, which will be enriched by the seals and arms of the various College organizations, and at each end will be a large open fireplace with a carved stone mantle. The room will be furnished with settles, easy chairs, large and small tables, and writing desks. On the same floor with the living-room, there will be a large billiard hall, a grill room for visitors and odd meals, but not for regular boarders, and two small private dinning rooms.

On the second floor will be the library a writing room, a study, a ladies room, and a room for games. These, as well as the whole interior, will be finished and furnished simply and comfortably in the so-called colonial style. On the third floor there will be ten bed-rooms.

In the basement will be the offices and the sanctum of the CRIMSON, the Bulletin office, and the headquarters of the Athletic Association and the Graduate Manager. Quite shut off from these will be the kitchen and scullery, the boiler room, a barber shop, and a dark room for photographic purposes.

The contract for building the club has been given to Norcross Brothers, the builders of Sever and Austin Halls, and they will have the building ready for occupancy by Class Day, 1901.