UNION COMMITTEE REPORTS.

Constitution Drafted and Presented for Discussion.--Further Plans.

The proposed constitution for the Harvard Union is submitted on the third page of this morning's CRIMSON. It is hoped that by putting it before the University now, there may be ample opportunity for discussing it, before the meeting on March 4 of the committee which is to act upon it.

The first step toward the organization of the Harvard Union was taken last fall, when the Corporation appointed a Committee on Regulations composed of the following members: H. L. Higginson '55, Augustus Hemenway '75, J. J. Storrow '85, C. F. Adams 2nd '88, T. N. Perkins '91, Ira N. Hollis h.'00.

By the authority of this committee the following committee was appointed in December to frame a constitution: W. R. Thayer '81, chairman; J. J. Storrow '85, R. C. Bolling '00, J. W. Hallowell '01, H. B. Clark '01. In drawing up this constitution for the Union, a careful examination was made of the regulations which govern Houston Hall at the University of Pennsylvania, and the similar organizations in English universities. The constitution upon its completion was submitted to the original Committee on Regulations. By them it has been referred for amendment and final approval to a larger committee. This consists, in addition to the members of the Committee on Regulations and the Framing Committee, of the following men:

From 1901--J. Lawrence, Jr., F. R. DuBois, R. S. H. Dyer, C. T. Hanson, L.S.S., G. M. McConnell, H. H. Murdock, W. T. Reid, C. F. Shaw.

From 1902--M. R. Brownell, R. S. Francis, L.S.S., R. M. Green, J. C. Grew, E. Lewis, L. B. Wehie, B. Wendell, Jr.

From 1903--R. Derby, J. F. Gough, G. W. Hinckley, E. N. Willis, L.S.S.

From 1904--R. R. Alexander, J. A. Burgess, N. A. Higgins.

Graduate School.--F. S. Arnold 2G.

Medical School.--W. G. Lee '01.

Law School.--M. Donald 2L., F. W. Knowlton 2L, M. L. Fearey 2L.

Divinity School.--H. W. Foote 2Dv.

A meeting of the Union Committee has been called for the evening of March 4th. There remains, therefore, a week in which the proposed constitution may be considered by the University before the first meeting of the Committee. It is earnestly hoped that everyone will critically examine its provisions and that opinions will be sent freely to the CRIMSON for publication, or individual members of the committee.

In addition to the Constitution, another question must soon be considered. The large living-room of the Union is panelled with oak of sufficient thickness to allow bas reliefs to be cut into it. In this panelling it is planned to have memorials of Harvard men. Money has been promised from an anonymous source sufficient for twelve of these memorials and it seems desirable that the panels should be carved for the opening of the building. One of the questions which must be taken up by the committee is the list of names which the University would like to commemorate in the Union. Suggestions from those interested would be helpful. J. LAWRENCE, JR.,   E. LEWIS,   R. DERBY.   J. A. BURGESS,   For the Committee.