Address by Mr. Mott.

Mr. John R. Mott, of New York, addressed the University Meeting in Appleton Chapel last night on "The Significance of the Personality of Jesus Christ to College men." He said in part:

In order to appreciate the significance of the personality of Jesus Christ we must first notice the fundamental needs in a man's life, for which this influence is wanted. In a college man this need is great, for the college man is a tempted man. He is placed in temptation of body and intellect. Impurity, intemperance, hypocrisy, intellectual pride, unbelief, these are only a few among the many that assail him. The battle which every man must wage against these temptations is a hard one, but it is only by this battle and the victory, that we may come in touch with the Living God. One of the most common of these temptations is impurity, in mind, body or imagination. It is a sin whose wages are death to success, to self-respect, to reputation, death to mind and body.

It is the yielding that is Sin, and not the temptation to which we yield. But no matter what the difficulty or temptation; there is always a hand to help us, a rock on which we may get support. This is found in Jesus Christ. The deep power and significance of His personality is that He puts Himself along with men in their doubt and scepticism, feeling for their weaknesses and sins and sympathizing as one who had himself been tempted. It is He who knows us. He is here to liberate no matter what our burdens. He comes to transform the life, to help man overcome temptation, to assist in obliterating the evils of the past. And the man who yields himself to this influence is as much transformed as one transformed by any miracle, and his greatest weakness may often become his greatest strength.

This address of Mr. Mott's was listened to with the keenest interest by a large number of students. The meeting was to have been held in Peabody Hall, Brooks House, but this proved inadequate for the large number who attended and Appleton Chapel was therefore adjourned to.