PEABODY MUSEUM REPORT.

Exploration and Publications During the Past Year.

The annual report of the Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology, prepared by the Curator, Professor F. W. Putnam, shows that the past year has been an active one for the Museum. The most valuable part of its work has been the Archaeological researches which have been conducted in various parts of America. The most important of these researches have been made possible by the "Fund for the Encouragement of Mexican and Central American Research." This fund, maintained by yearly contributions, has enabled the Museum to carry on researches in Yucatan and Mexico for twelve years, and last year by means of it the Museum continued the work of several explorers. Mr. Gordon conducted researches in Guatemala, and made a valuable collection illustrating Indian arts and customs, and also secured a large collection of photographs of Indians. Mr. E. H. Thompson completed explorations of the ruins of Chacmultum, an ancient city in Yucatan, from which he sent photographs, moulds of stellae and copies of mural paintings. Mr. Teobert Maler conducted very extensive explorations in several ancient cities in the valleys of the Usumatsintla, Guatemala, including the hitherto unknown city of Piedras Negras.

In addition to these expeditions the fund has furnished the means for publishing a series of quarto memoirs, thus making known some of the important results of the several expeditions. The latest of these memoirs has just been issued under the title "Researches in the Central Portion of the Usumatsintla Valley," by Mr. Teobert Maler. This work gives a full and interesting description of Mr. Maler's work for the past year, including his visit to the little-known Lacandon Indians of Lake Petha.

By means of this fund the Museum has also published Mrs. Nuttall's work on "The Fundamental Principles of Old and New World Civilization." The work is based upon long study of the religious, sociological and calendric systems of the ancient Mexicans, and shows undeniable identities between the civilizations of both hemispheres. It also contains valuable material for a comparative study of religious symbolism.

Several researches have been conducted aside from those in Central America. Dr. Charles Peabody explored some large mounds in Mississippi and made a large collection of stone implements, pottery, and other objects. Professor Putnam continued his researches in California in relation to the antiquity of man and collected a number of archaeological specimens. Other minor researches have also been made.

The usual courses have been given at the Museum during the past year. The library has been enlarged and several improvements have been made in the classification and exhibition of the collections.

Professor Putnam strongly emphasizes the fact that the present building of the Museum is overcrowded and that the remainder of the building connecting it with the University Museum is imperative. It is estimated that the completion of the building, which would double its present size, would cost $150,000. In addition to this sum Professor Putnam states that the permanent funds of the Museum should be increased by an equal amount to provide for salaries and current expenses.