HARVARD, 23; CARLISLE, 0.

Interesting Game.-Harvard's Team Play Good.--Indians Fumble Often.

The Harvard eleven won from the Carlisle Indians, Saturday on Soldiers Field, by the unexpectedly large score of 23 to 0. The game was not a remarkable exhibition of good football, but the many sensational runs and the brilliant individual work certainly made it interesting to watch. As for being a well-contested game, it was a foregone conclusion, after Harvard's first touchdown, that time only could determine the size of the score. The Indians played hard, but failed to make as strong a fight as they were capable of, and it was simply a matter of superior weight and perhaps a little more skill, for Harvard continually to penetrate the line or circle the ends for good gains. On the other hand, Carlisle was not greatly outplayed; when their team had the ball, advances as substantial as any made against Harvard this season were certain, but fumbles--and no team can lose the ball six times this way and expect to win--prevented every attempt to score. The play was interesting always and brought out many exciting runs, which culminated near the end of the game in one of 75 yards by Marshall through a broken field for a touchdown.

The effectiveness of Harvard's offense was due largely to quicker and more concerted starting by the backs. Instances where the runner was not helped by some of the other players were few, and, as a whole, the men gave an impression of having mastered the fundamentals of the game. They worked smoothly together and played considerably more like a team than in any previous game this season. The left side of the line was unreliable, however, and through it and around it most of Carlisle's gains were made. Besides allowing their opponents to break through and stop plays before they were fairly started, the line frequently committed faults which resulted seriously; three times the ball was lost for holding, and penalties for offside and interference amounted to 20 yards.

Good judgment in running the team, more speedy execution of plays, and remarkable ground-gaining ability made Marshall's showing deservedly conspicuous. In addition to his long run for a touchdown, he made several gains on kicks of 30 yards, together with others somewhat shorter. Kernan's fine end running easily surpassed anything he has done previously this year. Graydon continued his excellent work in carrying the ball, but was not as useful on the defense as Meier, who replaced him. Hurley, Knowles and Mason all played well. The positions occupied by Wright and A. Marshall were the weakest points in the line, and entirely too much was gained by Carlisle on their side. Both Wright and Knowlton were used to advantage in the formation plays, and Bleakie, who succeeded Wright in the second half, opened a number of excellent holes and was strong defensively.

Two touchdowns were made in each half. A fumble by Carlisle almost immediately after the kick-off gave Harvard an easy opportunity, and in nine rushes from the 23 yard line, principally by Graydon, the ball was carried over by Wright. Barnard missed the goal. Harvard, 5; Carlisle, 0. A 20-yard advance by Knowlton on a kick-off, a 34-yard run by Kernan around right end, and two short gains by Wright brought the ball to Carlisle's 25 yard line where it was lost for holding and immediately regained on a fumble. It again changed hands on downs and after a few gains Carlisle punted. Kernan received the kick at the centre of the field and ran half way to the goal. Wright with able assistance went through right tackle for 18 yards, again for 7 yards, and from 3 yard line Graydon took the same opening for a touchdown. Barnard's goal made the score Harvard, 11; Carlisle, 0. During the rest of the half, Kernan twice failed to punt well out of danger and both times Carlisle was enabled to get inside of Harvard's 20 yard line. Timely fumbles prevented a score and no other chance was offered. Just before the end of the half long runs by Kernan and Marshall gave the latter an opportunity on the 30 yard line to try a goal from the field which was missed by a narrow margin.

In the second half, after an exchange of punts and a 28 yard run by Marshall, the ball was pushed straight down the field to the 20 yard line, from where Knowlton broke through right tackle for a touchdown. The remainder of the game was played almost wholly in Carlisle's territory. A few minutes before the close of the game the scoring was brought to a fitting termination when Marshall, receiving a punt at Harvard's 35 yard line, started up the right side of the field, then changing direction ran back, circled the entire Indian team, and throwing off a number of tacklers, finally crossed the line for a touchdown.

The line-ups follow: HARVARD.  CARLISLE. Clark, Randall, l.e.  r.e., Bradley Wright, Bleakie, l.t.  r.t., Exendine Marshall, Whitwell, l.g.  r.g., Lubo, Dillon King, Lyon, c.  c., Wheelock, Sannook Barnard, Mason, r.g.  l.g., Phillips, Bowen Knowlton, Mills, r.t.  l.t., White Matthews, Crocker, r.e.  l.e., Beaver, Fisher Marshall Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Johnson Kernan, Knowles, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Sheldon, Yarlott Putnam, Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Parker, Matthews Graydon, Harrison, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Williams, Charles

Score--Harvard, 23; Carlisle, 0. Touchdowns -- Wright, Graydon, Knowlton, Marshall. Goals from touchdowns--Barnard 2, Noyes. Umpire--Dr. Stauffer, of Pennsylvania. Referee--L. F. Deland. Timekeeper--F. Wood, of B. A. A. Linesmen--Stillman, of Harvard, and Nephew, of Carlisle. Time--25 and 20 minute halves.