"Roger Wolcott."

The biography of the late Roger Wolcott '70, by Bishop William Lawrence '71, is a short sympathetic account of the principal events in the life of one whose name will always be remembered as an example of true American manhood.

The chapter entitled "A Harvard Student," which is filled chiefly with extracts from Roger Wolcott's Class Day Oration in 1870, is still of great interest to us today. In it he names "enthusiasm of heart and earnest of mind" as the two qualities demanded in the manhood of the times, and enters a plea for the younger generation to take more interest in the duties of citizenship.

Throughout the book the official side of Roger Wolcott's life is subordinated to the human side, and the account of the growth of his power and influence is animated by the sympathy that comes from a life-long friendship and loyal regard. The successive steps in his brilliant career are described--his early entrance into public life, his services as Lieutenant- Governor and Governor and his great activity during the Spanish war--soon followed by his death when he was at the height of his career.

Roger Wolcott. By William Lawrence. Houghton, Mifflin and Company. Boston and New York.