Professor Hart Gone South.

Professor Albert Bushnell Hart '80, now on leave of absence from the University, left Cambridge Saturday for an extended trip through the Southern States. Professor Hart intends to spend several months in the South, primarily with a view of studying the existing economic and political conditions. In June he will go to California, and will deliver a course of historical lectures at the summer school of the University of California.

Professor Hart has for some time been engaged upon several important works. A volume entitled, "Actual Government," discussing the practical side of politics, caucuses, bosses and city ownership, has recently gone to press and will soon be brought out by Longmans, Green and Company; and a narrative "School History of the United States," for use in secondary schools, will soon be published by the American Book Company. Professor Hart, as editor-in-chief, is also preparing for publication a co-operative history of the United States, in twenty-six volumes to be issued by Harper and Brothers under the general title "The American Nation. A History from Original Material by Associated Scholars." Each volume will have about three hundred pages and besides the text will contain some illustrative matter, a few maps, a chapter of critical bibliography, and an index. The divisions of the work will be chronological; and personal, social and economic, as well as political factors will be considered.