Yale Football Prospects.

The chief difficulty which is troubling the football coaches at Yale this year is the lack of substitutes from which to form a second team of sufficient strength to give the university team good practice. The university eleven has shown up well in the two games played, with Trinity and Tufts. The line, however, charges too high and the men do not move forward together; there is not enough of the helping and pulling of the runner which characterized the 1902 line. The work of the backs has been fast and consistent, but they show a lack of head work and have a tendency to get in each other's way.

The men reported for practice to field coach Chadwick and Captain Rafferty on September 16. At the opening of college the squad numbered forty men, and this number has since been increased to about seventy. The team suffered heavily by graduation, losing Holt, center, Goss, Glass and Hamlin, guards; Wilhelmi, end, Chadwick and Ward, halves, and Vander Poel, fullback, Rafferty and Shevlin, ends, Hogan and Kinney, tackles, Rockwell, quarter, Metcalf, right half and Bowman, fullback, of last year's team are in the same positions on the 1903 eleven. Morton, substitute center on the 1902 team is now at left guard and Roraback, substitute guard on the same team is playing center. Bloomer, who was tackle on the 1900 eleven is again eligible and is trying for right guard. Owsley, who played half in the Harvard Yale game in 1901, is in at right half.

Among the substitute backs now playing are Donahue '04, quarter; Lawrence '05, and Farmer '04S., fullbacks; Preston '04S., Soper '04 and McCoy, halfbacks. There are few good substitutes for the line positions; Flanders '04, however, who is trying for center or guard, is an aggressive and heady player, and Bissel is making a creditable showing as guard.

The following graduates have been assisting in the coaching: H. P. Cross '95S., P. Stillman '95, H. C. Holt '03, S. Coy '01.