HARVARD, 12; CARLISLE, 11.

Spectacular Game.-Showing of the University Eleven Disappointing.

In one of the most spectacular games ever played on Soldiers Field, the University eleven last Saturday barely escaped defeat by the Carlisle Indian School team, the final score being, Harvard 12, Carlisle 11. Until the last 15 minutes of play the Indian team led, and even after the University had secured a lead by scoring two touchdowns, seriously threatened to score again.

The showing of the University eleven was extremely disappointing, and proved very clearly, what its recent work in practice has indicated; the absolute lack of fight. In the first half the Indians had the University team at their mercy, and ran the ball 70 yards without a single failure to make first down, the defense, throughout the game, was utterly powerless either to analyze or to stop Carlisle's advance with the ball. Double and delayed passes, quarterback runs, straight mass plays through tackle, varied by different wing shift formations, were all in turn, used most successfully in bending back the Harvard line. The one reliable part of the defense was the work of the ends, particularly Bowditch, who spoiled several of Carlisle's plays around the end. Although during the middle of the second half, the University's attack was irresistible, its offense on the whole was by no means encouraging. During the entire first half, Harvard did not carry the ball within 40 yards of Carlisle's goal line; and in the second half, the team actually lost the ball on downs when within six inches of a touchdown.

Bowditch's work at right end was the one redeeming feature of the defense. On the offense, Schoellkopf was the most consistent ground gainer and made one long run of 55 yards which almost resulted in a touchdown. Owing to the lack of active interference, Nichols and Hurley were frequently unable to gain around the end.

Charles kicked off for Carlisle, and Marshall ran the kick back from the 18 to the 37-yard line. Two rushes gave four yard and then LeMoyne punted to Johnson, who ran the ball back 13 yards to the 38-yard line. From here Carlisle rushed to Harvard's 8-yard line, and after a 4-yard loss Johnson made a pretty goal from placement. Neither goal was menaced during the rest of their half. Score-Carlisle, 5; Harvard, 0.

The Indians second score was made on an extraordinary trick play at the beginning of the second half. As Johnson got the kick-off on the 7-yard line, the Carlisle team instead of making interference, came together in front of their quarterback with the apparent object of running back the kick by the aid of a flying wedge formation. With this as a shield, the ball was hid in Dillon's jersey, the ball was discovered, Dillon had a clear field before him for a touchdown. Johnson kicked goal. Score-Carlisle, 11; Harvard, 0.

Carlisle kicked off. Schoellkopf's long run and a number of short rushes took the ball to within half a yard of the Indians' goal line, when it was lost on downs. After Carlisle had punted to the 45-yard line, seventeen rushes for short gains carried the ball over for a touchdown. Marshall kicked the goal. Score-Carlisle, 11; Harvard, 6.

The University's second touchdown, trying the score, was made by Mills, after the ball had been carried to the 2-yard line from near the middle of the field. As the try for goal would have been very difficult, LeMoyne punted out to C. B. Marshall, who made a difficult catch. Marshall kicked the goal. Score-Harvard, 12; Carlisle, 11. Time was called with the ball on the University's 46-yard line, after the Indians had come very near scoring.The line-up:

HARVARD.  CARLISLE.LeMoyne, l.e.  r. e., MathewsMeier, l.t.  r.t., ExendineCarrick, Wilder, l. g.  r.g., LuboSugden, c.  c., SchouchukA. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., DillonKnowlton, r.t.  l.t., Bowen, WhiteBowditch, Clothier, r.e.  l.e., JudeC. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., JohnsonNichols, Goodhue, l.h.b.  r.h.b., HendricksHurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., SheldonSchoellkopf, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Charle