Lectures on Greek Literature.

The first of the series of lectures provided for by the gift of Gardiner M. Lane '81, will be given in the spring by Dr. S. H. Butcher, until, recently professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh. Dr. Butcher's general subject will be on some topic connected with Greek literature, but the individual subjects of his six lectures have not yet been announced. The lectures will be given in the Fogg Lecture Room on the following dates: Monday, March 28; Thursday, March 31; Monday, April 4; Friday, April 8; Monday, April 11; and Thursday, April 14.

Dr. Butcher received his university education at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was the Senior Classic and Chancellor's Medallist in 1873 and held a fellowship in 1874. He was later elected, without examination, to an Extraordinary Fellowship at University College. Oxford, where he remained as lecturer until 1882, when he accepted a professorship at Edinburgh. Dr. Butcher was a member of the Scottish universities commission from 1889 to 1896, and served on the royal commission on university education in Ireland in 1901. He is well-known in this country through his writings, which include a prose translation of the Odyssey, compiled with the co-operation of Andrew Lang. "Demosthenes" in the Classic Writers series. "Some Aspects of the Greek Genius," and "Aristotle's Theory of Poetry and the Fine Arts."

The lectures will be open to the public.