HARVARD VS. WILLIAMS

First Game of Season at 3 O'Clock. Crude Practice Yesterday.

The University eleven will play its first game of the season with the Williams team on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock. The strength of Williams this year is unknown as the game this afternoon also marks the beginning of the Williams football season. Last year Harvard defeated Williams by the score of 17 to 0, and five of last year's Williams team will line up against the University team this afternoon. The halves, in all probability, will not exceed fifteen minutes in length. The probable line-up of the two teams follows:

line-up of the two teams follows: HARVARD  WILLIAMS. Lockwood, l.e.  r.e., Stereking Meier, l.t.  r.t., Bixby Wilder, l.g.  r.g., Campbell Cunniff, c.  c., Eldred McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Eldridge Squires, r.t.  l.t., Murray Blagden, r.e.  l.e., Elder Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Miller Hurley, r.h.  l.h., Brown Nichols, l.h.  r.h., Watson Mills, f.b.  f.b., Bates

The University football practice yesterday afternoon was the longest which has been held thus far this season. The preliminary work lasted over an hour and a half, and the scrimmage which followed equalled approximately a 15 minute half. This scrimmage amounted to a punting contest, in which the second eleven did the best work, making a net gain of over 60 yards in some half dozen exchanges. The fast work of Pope, left guard on the second, in getting down the field under the punts was noticeable. There was much fumbling in the handling of kicks, which was probably largely due to the heavy wind. There were again numerous changes in the line-up of the first eleven: Meier was put in at left tackle in place of Brill, McFadon was moved over to right guard to replace White, and Wilder went in at left guard. Blagden was shifted from left end on the second to right end on the first.

In the first part of the scrimmage Kernan secured the ball for the second on a fumble by Mills on the 45-yard line, and then by straight line plunging, for the greater part by Hanley, and 5 yards for offside, the second carried the ball to the 10-yard line. There, however, the first held for downs thus depriving the second of its chance to score. At no other time was either goal in danger. Time was called with the ball on the second's 35-yard line.

The line-up.

FIRST ELEVEN  SECOND ELEVEN.Lockwood, l.e.  r.e., KersburgMeier, l.t.  r.t., OvesonWilder, l.g.  r.g., WhiteCunniff, c.  c., ParkerMcFadon, r.g.  l.g., Pope, ConlensSquires, r.t.  l.t., BrownBlagden, r.e.  l.e., ShurtleffNoyes, q.b.  q.b. Kernan, StarrNichols, l.h.  l.h., Nesmith, FosterHurley, r.h.  r.h., Means, GuildMills, f.b.  f.b., Hanley, Maso

The line-up.