HARVARD, 12; CARLISLE, 0

A Hard Game, Marked by Encouraging Work of University Eleven.

In a hard and fast game marked by several spectacular plays, the University eleven defeated the Carlisle Indian School team in the Stadium Saturday afternoon by the score of 12 to 0.

The unusual attack of the Indians, their use of double passes, wing shift formations, and kicks by the centre, made the entire game unusually exciting, in spite of the fact that Harvard's goal was never threatened.

In the midst of every play, both defensive and offensive, stopping trick plays, running with the ball, and tackling, Captain Hurley carried off the individual honors. Mills, Brill and Squires played a steady and consistent game from start to finish, and Leary's work at end was very promising. The team as a whole showed fight, and played will on the defensive. Their offense, however, was not all that might have been expected against a lighter team. The line made good openings, but the backs, though brilliant in individual play, were frequently too slow in starting to profit by the work of the forwards, and often failed to give sufficient support to the runner. For Carlisle, Libby and Bowen did the best work, Libby's excellent end runs being a feature of the game.

Harvard won the loss and defended the south goal. On the first Kick-off Libby sent the ball out of bounds, but the second time Filley received it on the 20-yard line and ran it back to the 35-yard line where he was tacked and fumbled, the hall, however, being immediately recovered by Harvard. On the first play Carlisle was penalized 5 yards. Nichols and Mills then made first down on two plays, and Hurley went through the Indians' left for 9 yards to the middle of the field. Mills went through centre for 4 yards, after which Hurley fumbled, and the ball went to the Indians on their 50-yard line. Carlisle gained 5 yards in 3 rushes, but on the next play was held for downs on Harvard's 52-yard line. Mills went through right tackle for a gain of 6 yards, and the backs advance the ball by short rushes to Carlisle's 40-yard line. Here Hurley was thrown back for a loss of one yard. Nichols punted, and the ball went outside on Carlisle's 30-yard line. After failing to gain through the line the Indians tried a new kick. Bending over, as if to pass hack for a punt, the centre suddenly straightened up, and kicked the ball along the ground. Leary got it, but was downed on Carlisle's 54-yard line. An exchange of punts brought the ball to Carlisle's 54-yard line. Carlisle's got it on a fumble, but was penalized 10 yards for offside play and Libby punted, the ball going out on Harvard's 34-yard line. Hurley went outside Carlisle's right tackle for a gain of 15 yards. Nichols gained 2 yard and Mills went 11 yards, through right tackle. Harvard was penalized 5 yards, after which Mills advanced the ball 4 yards to Carlisle's 31-yard line. Nichcols punted high and the ball went out of bounds on Carlisle's 15-yard line. Libby went 10 yards around right end and was tackled by Nichols on Carlisle's 25-yard line. Libby then punted to Nichols, who fumbled, the ball going to Carlisle, on her 54-yard line. Libby gained 9 yards around right end, and was downed by Hurley. Sheldon tried to go around Leary, who threw him back for a loss of 4 yards. Carlisle punted, but Harvard was given the ball on her 46-yard line for interference in Filley's free catch. Nichols punted to Carlisle's 35-yard line, and after two rushes, time was called.

In the second half, Carlisle's right end, P. Kennedy, was replaced by Flores, the Harvard line-up remaining unchanged. Parker kicked off to Gardner, who ran the ball in to the 34-yard line. After the failure of trick plays directed at Leary and Filley Carlisle's centre again kicked the ball along the ground to Leary, who was downed on Harvard's 45-yard line. Following several short gains Nichols took the ball on Harvard's 52-yard line and ran 36 yards to Carlisle's 22-yard line. Kernan ran the next play off rapidly and Hurley went through right tackle for a touchdown. Carlisle was offside on this play, but Harvard declined to accept the penalty. Kernan kicked the goal. Fraser was substituted for Parkinson. Libby ran the kick-off in to the 23-yard line, and an exchange of punts followed which gave the ball to Carlisle on the 24-yard line. McFadon was move to left guard, Parker went out, and White was put in at right guard. Soon afterward Randall took Filley's place. Carlisle used a double pass around right end, which was stopped by Hurley. Harvard held Carlisle for downs on the Indians' 38-yard line. Mills and Hurley each gained four yards through left tackle, and by short rushes the ball was advanced to Carlisle's 20-yard line. Hurley broke through left tackle and ran out of bounds on the three-yard line. Mills gained 2 yards through tackle. Nichols failed to gain and Hurley went outside left tackle for a touchdown. Kernan punted out to Hurley and kicked the goal. Shirtleff took Leary's place. Sheldon ran the next kick-off to the 14-yard line. Reynolds then went in for Nichols. Harvard held for downs of Carlisle's 40-yard line. Reynolds punted, and Libby was downed on the 18-yard line. Charles was substituted for Hendricks, and punted to Kernan, who was downed on Harvard's 50-yard line. Hurley and Reynolds each made 5 yards. On tackles back formations Squires gained 2 yards at centre and Brill twice made 7 yards through tackle. Carlisle got the ball on the 42-yard line. Davie was put in for Brill, and Mt. Pleasant took Fremont's place for Carlisle. Harvard got the ball on a fumble, but the offense failed, and Reynolds punted to Nephew, who advanced to the 31-yard and line. Libby circled end for 27 yards, and was tackled by Kernan of Harvard's 50-yard line. The game ended with the ball on the 43-yard line.

The summary: HARVARD.  CARLISLE. Filley, Randall, l.e.  r.e., P. Kennedy, Flores Brill, Davie, l.t.,  r.t., Lubo Parker, McFadon, l.g.,  r.g., White Parkinson, Fraser, c.  c., C. Kennedy

McFadon, White, r.g.  l.g., DillonSquires, r.t.  l.t., BowenLeary, Shurtleff, r.e.  l.e, Frement, Mt. PleasantKernan, q.b.  q.b., LibbtyNichols, Reynolds, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hondricks, ChariosHurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., SholdonMills, f.b.  f.b., Gardno