Intercollegiate Tennis.

Haverford, Pa., Oct. 4.--In the second day's play of the intercollegiate tennis tournament. on the courts of the Merion Cricket Club, the Harvard players won three matches and lost one, leaving B. S. Prentice '05 and J. I. B. Larned '05 in the semi-finals of the singles and F. J. Sulloway '05, H. H. Whitman '06, Larned, and Prentice in the first round of the doubles. One of the features of the play today was the defeat of Rendell, the Princeton champion, by Prentice. H. H. Whitman '06 was defeated by R. Leroy of Columbia in a hard, through erratically played match.

In the semi-final tomorrow Prentice will play Dewhurst of Pennsylvania and Larned will play Leroy of Columbia.

The summary:

Singles; third round--Dewhurst (Pennsylvania) defeated Sunstein (Princeton), 6-1, 11-9; Prentice (Harvard) defeated Rendell (Princeton), 6-3, 6-4; Leroy (Columbia) defeated Whitman (Harvard), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4; Larned (Harvard) defeated Thompson (Princeton), 7-5, 6-1.

Doubles, preliminary round--Rendell and Thompson (Princeton) defeated Spaulding and Stetson (Yale), 6-0, 4-6, 6-4; Sulloway and Larned (Harvard) defeated Yocum and Mills (Pennsylvania), 6-2, 6-1; Behr and Bodman (Yale) won by default; Sunstein and Thompson (Princeton) defeated Lee and Fales (Harvard), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.

Doubles, first round--Prentice and Whitman (Harvard) drew a bye.