Hon. J. W. Foster to Speak

On Friday, December 2, the Hon. John W. Foster will speak in Sanders Theatre on "What Shall America do in the Orient?"

Mr. Foster is an authority on questions of diplomacy. He was minister to Mexico from 1873 to 1880 and minister to Russia from 1880 to 1881. He established a law practice in international cases in Washington, representing foreign legations before commissions and arbitration boards. From 1883 to 1885 he was minister to Spain. In 1891 he was special plenipotentiary to negotiate reciprocity treaties with Brazil, Spain, Germany, and the British West Indies. In the year 1892 to 1893 he was Secretary of State under President Harrison. He acted as the United States agent in the Behring Sea Arbitration at Paris in 1893 and was a member of the Anglo-Canadian Commission in 1898. At the invitation of the Emperor of China he participated in the peace negotiations with Japan. Mr. Foster is the author of "A Century of American Diplomacy" and "American Diplomacy in the Orient." He is a graduate of the Indiana State University and studied for one year in the Harvard Law School.