PROGRAM OF WINTER SPORTS

Opportunities for Activity in Organized Athletics.--Track Work Begins Today.

For the information of men who desire to take exercise this winter in some form of organized sport, the following epitome of the varied opportunities for athletic activity has been made.

TRACK.

Winter track work will begin today. Candidates for the high jump are expected to report in the Gymnasium at 3.30 o'clock this afternoon and at the same hour on succeeding Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons. Beginning today, the distance runners will be given daily work of a light nature at 4 o'clock. The polevaulters will begin work tomorrow at 4 o'clock and will practice regularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the same hour. This scheme of work in the events named will be followed until about January 1. Plans for track work after that date will be announced soon.

New men are especially needed at present in the high jump, an event in which many men can become proficient, with a moderate amount of training and instruction. On the regular days during the remainder of this term, one or two graduates will be present to coach men in this event. As a stimulus, it has been decided to hold two informal contests in high jumping. These will probably be held at 4 o'clock on two afternoons of this term, the exact days to be announced later. First and second prizes will be offered. Men who have competed in the dual or intercollegiate games, and men ineligible for the team will not be allowed to compete.

Strict training will not be required this month.

HOCKEY.

One hundred men handed in their names for the University hockey team, practice for which has already begun. Work for the class squad will begin soon. A rink has been built in the Stadium, but until the ice on this is ready practice will be held on some nearby pond.

BASKETBALL.

Candidates for the basketball team were called out last Tuesday and began practicing on Friday. They have been divided into class squads, which will be coached for the present by class captains and by members of last year's University team, as no regular coach has yet been appointed. The interclass series will begin December 6, when the Seniors will play the Juniors. The Sophomores and Freshmen will play on December 7, and the final game will be played on December 9. Members of the winning team will receive their class basketball numerals and cups presented by T. M. Osborne '84. Immediately after these games, the University squad will be chosen. After Christmas a scrub series will be held for such men as are not on the University squad, the winning team to receive cups from the management. Some of the best players from these teams will be taken to the University squad.

WATER SPORTS.

Several branches of water sport are open to members of the University during the winter. The water-polo and swimming teams will begin work either just before or just after the Christmas vacation and there may possibly be a diving team. Material for these teams, from last year's teams and substitutes, is plentiful and the prospects for a successful season are good. Plans for the year have not yet been decided upon, but a meet with Yale may be held about March 1.

BASEBALL.

Baseball candidates this year will be called out after the mid-year examination period, and the plan followed will probably be similar to that of last year, when the University and Freshman squads practiced together in the cage for the first two weeks. Final plans, however, will not be decided upon until after the Christmas recess.

ROWING.

Up to yesterday both the University trial-eights squad and the Freshman squad rowed on the river every afternoon. The trial-eights squad will continue work on the river as long as the weather permits. The men will then be given indoor work on the machines and in the tank at the University boat house throughout the winter. In the spring two or three crews will be formed from the squad and will race about May 1. The University squad will be picked in accordance with the results of this race.

The Freshman fall squad discontinued work yesterday. Early in the winter, candidates for the class crews will be called out and will work indoors in preparation for the regular spring practice. The interclass races will be held in the middle of May.

FENCING.

For some time the fencing squad has been practicing in the basement of the Gymnasium on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons under the instruction of class captains and former members of University teams. Beginning today at 3 o'clock, M. Pianelli will coach on Wednesday afternoons throughout the season. Men trying for class teams should report Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, between 4 and 6 o'clock to their class captains. An interclass tournament will be held December 21, the members of the winning team to receive cups presented by H. St. Gaudens '03. The Fencers' Club will hold three tournaments, two novice and one junior, and the University team will hold meets with Technology and other teams, and will also enter the intercollegiate meet at New York.

GYMNASTICS.

The gymnastic team is practicing regularly every day in the Gymnasium. Its first exhibition will be given just before the Christmas recess and will include, besides regular gymnastic work, indoor track events, boxing and wrestling. In January the team will hold a meet with Yale and a month later one with Amherst. Practice meets will be held with the Boston Young Men's Christian Association, with Andover, and probably with the Institute of Technology. The annual dual meet with Columbia will be held probably in February and the University team will enter the intercollegiate gymnastic meet at Princeton on March 31. Mr. Dohs is coaching the team.

For men not interested in competitive athletics, the Gymnasium offers apparatus of all kinds, and a competent instructor to take charge of the work. Two classes meet every afternoon except Saturday, one at 4 o'clock for heavy gymnastics, the other at 5 o'clock for light work intended for general development