HOLY CROSS WON BASKETBALL

University Team Defeated in a Close Game.--Roughness in Playing.

The University basketball team was defeated by Holy Cross at Worcester, Saturday evening by the score of 18 to 14. The Harvard team was handicapped by an injury to Captain Bigelow in the first few minutes of play. In the second half Grant injured his ankle and was replaced by Underwood.

At the close of the first half the score was 8 to 8. In the second half the University team scored first, but two long and rather fortunate baskets by Holy Cross gave the latter a lead, which they were able to maintain until time was called.

The passing and covering of the University team was excellent, but in shooting for easy baskets the men were unsteady. The inability of Harvard to throw free tries was largely responsible for the defeat. Roughness was apparent throughout the game and became especially noticeable in the last few minutes of play.

The line-up was as follows: HARVARD.  HOLY CROSS. Henderson, l.f.  r.f., O'Toole Grant, Underwood, r.f.  l.f., Doherty Randall, c.  c., Spring Bigelow, Swift, l.g.  r.g., Reed Gring, r.g.  l.g., Quinn, Dollard

Score--Holy Cross, 18; Harvard, 14. Goals from floor--Randall 3, Henderson 2, Underwood, Doherty 2, O'Toole 2, Spring, Dollard. Goals from fouls--Spring 6, Gring, Grant. Free tries missed--Randall 5, Gring 6, Henderson 2, Spring 4. Fouls--Randall 4, Gring 3, Swift 2, Henderson, O'Toole 4, Spring 3, Quinn 3, Doherty 2, Reed 2, Dollard. Referee--P. W. Hehir. Umpire--W. O. Dapping '05. Timer--P. J. O'Neil, Jr. Time--20-minute halves.