ADDITION TO INFIRMARY

Contagious Ward to be Built from Mr. Stillman's Gift of $75,000.

Mr. James Stillman of New York, who gave $50,000 last year to build a contagious ward for the Stillman Infirmary, has recently added $25,000 to that amount, and the work of construction will commence very soon.

The new building, designed by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, of Boston, will be of the same style as the Infirmary, and connected with it by a semi-circular passageway of two stories, the lower of masonry and the upper an open colonnade. In dimensions the new ward will nearly equal the present building, being about 80 feet long by 40 feet broad, and four stories high.

The first three floors are alike in plan, each having a large ward with ten beds, a private bed-room, an isolation room, and its own set of locker rooms, lavatories, pantry and linen-closets. On the fourth floor there are to be seven nurses bedrooms.

There will be no contact between the floors, and patients, nurses and visitors must enter by an outside staircase open to the air. Each ward will have its own system of ventilation and heating, with a large open fire-place in the centre, and adjoining the colonnade there will be a laundry and a sun-room of iron and glass. An attempt will be made to complete the building by next winter.