BASEBALL WITH GEORGETOWN

At Washington, D. C., Today.--Criticism of the Team.

The University baseball team will play its first game of the season this afternoon with Georgetown on the Georgetown diamond at Washington, D. C. The game is expected to be an unusually hard one as Georgetown has already developed a strong team which defeated Yale on April 5 by a score of 9 to 0, and Princeton on April 2 and 4 by scores of 1 to 0 and 5 to 4 respectively.

The Harvard team before leaving for the southern trip held but five days of outdoor practice, owing to the bad conditions of weather and grounds, and for the same reason was compelled to cancel all the games scheduled previous to the trip. As a result, although the men have progressed fairly well in individual work, they have not developed either the team work or the confidence which can come from practice games only. So far as can be judged thus early in the season, the team fields well and is fairly good at the bat. The base running is as yet crude and undeveloped and the men are slow in getting their throws off.

Carr, third baseman, is unsteady both in the field and at the bat. He fields fouls well, however, and his bunting is good.

Kernan in right field is the best of the outfielders and has improved slightly over his form of last year. His batting, although somewhat improved, is still his weakest point.

Randall at first base has shown good improvement in both batting and throwing, and plays his position in good form. He is however, listless at critical moments.

Clarkson's work in the box and in the field as usual leaves little to be desired. In batting he is not yet up to his form of last year.

Stephenson, behind the bat, stops the ball well, but does not hold it, and does not use his head in helping the pitcher. He throws to second well and is good at bat.

At shortstop, Greenough is nervous and consequently unreliable in the field, but he hits well.

At second base, Bolton is steady and reliable and bats fairly well. He suffers, however, from inexperience. Murphy, while more experienced than Bolton, is less steady in fielding and throwing. He also bats fairly well.

In left field New hall is reliable and shows good judgment. His throws to the plate are strong, but not accurate, and he is still weak at the bat. McCarty, who has been a candidate for the Freshman team, covers ground well and is a good hitter.

Marshall in centre field covers a great deal of ground and is very fast at running bases. He also bats well.

The batting orders of the teams will be: HARVARD.  GEORGETOWN. Carr, 3b.  1b., Dowling Kernan, r.f.  s.s., Dorman Randall, 1b.  c., Hart Clarkson, p.  l.f., Apperious Stephenson, c.  3b., Morgan Greenough, s.s.  2b., Hawretty Bolton, Murphy, 2b.  c.f., McGettigan Newhall, McCarty, l.f.  r.f., Burns Marshall, c.f.,  p., Crumley