1904-05 ATHLETIC PROSPECTS.

Outlook for Baseball, Football, Track and Crew.

Although the baseball season is not yet completed, and the Yale series not decided, it may be interesting to sum up briefly the present prospects for next year's team.

Of this year's team, P. Carr '04, captain and third baseman, and E. Fischel '04, left fielder, will be unable to play next year. This leaves P.N. Coburn 1L., pitcher; B.K. Stephenson '06, catcher; C.W. Randall '05, first baseman; H.D. Kernan '05, second baseman; W.C. Matthews '05, shortstop; H.V. Greenough '05, right fielder; and A.E. McCarty '07, center fielder.

There are also a number of substitutes on this year's University team who will return next year, and should cause sharp competition for the two vacancies.

Among the pitchers are J.A. Tuckerman '05, who uses his head well but lacks speed and strength; A.L. Castle '06, who should develop into a very valuable man; and D.C. Brennan and G.F. Green of the Freshman team, both of whom show considerable promise. The most likely candidates for third base are C.C. Bolton '05, substitute on the University team, and W.D. Dexter, third baseman on the Freshman team, the chances slightly favoring Bolton as a more experienced man. D.A. Newhall '06 is the most promising man to fill the vacancy at left field, while J.H. Giles, the Freshman fielder, is also a likely candidate.

As substitutes for the positions already filled, the following men of this year's University squad are also available and should materially assist in the development of the team: W.A. Quigley '06, who has been first substitute to Stephenson behind the bat this spring; J.D. Nichols '06, substitute first baseman, who was played at center field on the University team the first part of the season; F.T. Colby '05, substitute center fielder, and J.B. Russell, the Freshman second baseman.

With so few vacancies to fill the outlook for a strong team next year is particularly bright.

The Football Eleven.

The candidates for the University eleven will return to Cambridge before College opens in September to begin practice in preparation for the first game of the schedule, which will be played with Williams on October 1. For the first few days a number of graduate coaches will assist Head-coach Wrightington in the preliminary work, but after the squad has been sufficiently reduced Mr. Wrightington and his regular staff will direct the work alone. As only four members of last year's eleven will return this fall, the coaches will have a difficult task to get the team together early in the season. Their work should be considerably simplified, however, as nearly all of the candidates for the seven vacant positions have had considerable experience in the rudimentary points of the game. Of the seven places which will have to be filled this fall, five are in the line and two in the backfield. From the material at present available for these positions it would seem that the eleven next fall must be lighter than usual and that speed must be relied upon rather than strength for the development of a successful team.

Besides D.J. Hurley '05, captain, the following members of last year's team will return to College: J. Parkinson, Jr., '06, center; J.D. Nichols '06, left half-bask; H. Le Moyne '07, left guard; and possibly T.G. Meier, 2nd, '04, left tackle. The men who leave College or will be ineligible in the fall are: C.B. Marshal '04, quarterback and ex-captain; A. Marshall 3L., right guard; D.W. Knowlton 1G., right tackle; W.J. Clothier '04, left end; A. tackle; W.J. Clothier '04, left end; A. Goodhue '04, left halfback; E. Bowditch, Jr., 1L., right end; H. Schoellkopf 2L., fullback; W.A. Sugden 1L., substitute center. Among the substitutes who have played in the more important games and who will be available this fall are the following: P.O. Mills '05, fullback; R.A. Derby '05, left tackle; W.T. Harrison '05, fullback; J.M. Montgomery, Jr., '06, right end; B.H. Squires '06, left tackle; C.A. Shea '04, left guard. These men together with the new material, and the other candidates for the team last fall, should make a large squad and cause keen competition for the vacant positions.

The schedule for the season has been prepared with the greatest care. Two of the early games have been omitted as unfeasible, while the Dartmouth game, which was thought to be too severe a test for the men to undergo a week before the Yale game, has been arranged for a week earlier than last year. It was hoped to give Amherst Dartmouth's former date but no agreement could be reached and Holy Cross was finally substituted in its place. This has made it necessary to fix the date of the Pennsylvania game also one week earlier, but this step has been taken with no idea of detracting from its importance, but simply as a necessity in developing the team to meet Yale in the final contest.

Coach Wrightington and Captain Hurley urge very strongly that all the men on the squad return to Cambridge promptly next fall so that there may be no delay in starting the season's work. The importance of all the men beginning together at the very start cannot be overestimated.

The Track Team.

The outlook for a track team next year. strong in both field and track events, is especially bright. Twelve men who won points for the University this year will return next fall and of these Schick, H.B. Young, King, Murphy, Gring,

Schoenfuss and Le Moyne all won first places. Schick, Grilk and Perkins will be the best men in the sprints. Schick has won the one hundred and the two-twenty-yard dashes in the dual games for the last three years. Dives and B.L. Young in the quarter; H.B. Young, Buffum and Cobb in the half-mile; Rowland in the mile; King, Ware and Hall in the two-mile; Bird in the high and low hurdles; Murphy, R. Robeson, Crane, Derby, and E.L. Young in the high jump; Ayres and Ford in the broad jump; Gring and Sawyer in the pole-vault; Le Moyne and Schoenfuss in the shot-put, and Le Moyne in the hammer-throw are the strongest men in their several events. Besides these there are several men who were ineligible to compete this year. Among the most promising of the new men is J.F. Doyle '07 for the low hurdles. These men will form the basis of a team which should prove of more than ordinary ability.

The Crew.

It is difficult to forecast now the prospects of the crew for next year. The following members of this year's University eight and the four-oared crew will graduate: J.P.B. Duffy and W. Shuebruk, from the Law School, and T.G. Meier and H.G. Dillingham from the College. It is expected that all the members of the Freshman crew will return to College. With such a large proportion of the men returning next year the outlook for a fast crew is encouraging. With the maintenance of the present system the crew should also have the advantage of greater familiarity with the new stroke as a result of longer training