HARVARD, 23; CARLISLE, 11

Both Teams Strong on Offense.--Right Side of Harvard Line Weak

The University eleven defeated the Carlisle Indian football team Saturday afternoon by the score of 23 to 11, in a game which, although showing very weak points in Harvard's defense, gave evidence that a powerful attack is being developed.

The scoring was equally divided between the two halves and all four of Harvard's touchdowns were made by straight, steady rushing. Carlisle's first score came as a surprise, for the Indians, not trying any of the open of trick end runs by which their play has been characterized in recent years, directed their attack on the weakened right side of Harvard's line, and carried the ball by short gains, practically unchecked, 40 yards in 13 plays. Carlisle's last touchdown would probably not have been scored but for a fumble which forced Harvard to punt. The pass was delayed and Leonard could only get off a short kick which was partially blocked. Snyder bad gone too far down the field and Mt. Pleasant, receiving the kick at the centre of the field, ran down the side lines 43 yards before Gilder stopped him. On the third down, with the ball on the 1 yard line Harvard was unable to hold and Sheldon went over for a touchdown.

The offense of the University team, which during the past week has given indications of consistent team play, was severely tested by the quick-starting Carlisle defense, and the score best shows how it met this test. Twice the Indians were able to direct their secondary defense to such good effect that Harvard lost the ball on downs. Carlisle was held for downs only once after a loss resulting from a fumble. Captain Hurley, who played during the first half, made several substantial gains through Exendine. Foster carried the ball with good effect and Squires back of the line broke through the centre of the Indian's line for short gains. Brill showed by far the most improvement in carrying the ball. He kept his feet well, and, not relying on the backs to help him along, dragged several Indians along with him. He repeatedly made gains of over, five yards. Wendell was given no chance to run with the ball, but did good work in helping along the backs, pushing Leonard over for Harvard's last touchdown. Paul broke a small bone in his shoulder after the first few minutes of play, but continued in the game through the first half. This injury will prevent him from playing for at least two weeks, Guild, who replaced him in the second half, could nearly always be relied on to make his distance. Just before the end of the game he wrenched his knee and was replaced by Lockwood. Starr put lots of snap into the team and used good judgment in directing plays. He was much steadier in the backfield than he has been and ran well with the ball. His most brilliant run was on the first kick-off, when he followed his interference back 50 yards.

The right side of the Harvard line offered the poorest defense and the tackle around play was time and again successfully worked through Squires, who has not been in the game for several weeks. Kersburg did little better at guard, so that Captain Bowen and Dillon of Carlisle opened up holes at will. Brill's defensive game was very effective in breaking up the interference, but he was unable to stop the runner. Burr and White played very aggressively on both the offense and defense, and defense, and the latter's passing was much steadier. The ends showed no improvement over their play in previous games, with the exception of Leary, who made several hard tackles.

The line of the Carlisle team was fast, and being lighter had the advantage of the soggy ground. The tackles and guards frequently carried the ball from their positions, Bowen and Exendine being particularly successful in this play. Dubois was the most aggressive back and diving over the line several lines, before the ball was in play, was responsible for some of the Indians penalties.

Captain Bowen of Carlisle won the loss and Dubois kicked off, with a strong wind behind him to Starr, who, by a clever 50-yard line run carried the ball to Carlisle's 50-yard line. Harvard first touchdown was then scored in 11 rushes, the Indians being penalized once for offside play. Paul made the touchdown. Starr punted out to foster, who, after being obliged to jump for the ball succeeded in heeling it. Burr easily kicked the goal.

Carlisle's next kickoff went over the goal line, and Burr punted out. Archiquette received the kick and ran back 29 yards to Harvard's 4--yard line. Carlisle then advanced the ball steadily, and although checked twice by good individual plays, was able to average three yards a rush, Dubois making the touchdown on the thirteenth play. The try for goal was lost as Mt. Pleasant's punt-out went far to one side.

Burr then kicked of for Harvard to Mt. Pleasant, who was running hard, when he slipped and was downed on the 20-yard line. LaRocque carried the ball from his position for four yards, but Exendine failed to gain, and after recovering a fumble Carlisle lost the ball on downs on the 24-yard line. Squires gained two yards, Paul lost one and as Hurley could only make a yard through left tackle, Carlisle recovered the ball on downs. After two rushes the Indians fumbled, but regained the ball and punted to Foster on the 45-yard line. Brill and Paul netted five yards and Foster followed with ten yards through left tackle. On the third down, with the ball on the 24-yard line, Starr took the Indians by surprise and circled Lubo's end for six yards. Five rushed carried the ball to the 1-yard line, where Hurley broke through right tackle and circling the whole Carlisle team placed the ball directly behind to goal posts. Burr kicked the goal.

For the rest of the half neither goal was in danger. After a few rushes Burrpunted to Archiquette, who fumbled and Brill fell on the ball on Carlisle's 46-yard line. Harvard was again held for downs. The Indians rushed the ball back 25 yards, and the ball was in their possession on Harvard's 42-yard line, when time was called.

Guild, Wendell, Leary and Snyder went in for Paul, Hurley, Hall and Macdonald in the second half. Burr kicked off to Mt. Pleasant, who was downed by Leary on the 15-yard line. On a poor pass White threw Archiquette for loss and the Indians were forced to punt. Harvard received the ball on the 4--yard line, and in rushes made another score. Brill and Guild made the longest runs, the latter going over for the touchdown. Starr punted out, but the catch was not allowed, as although Foster heeled the ball perfectly, the referee claimed he could take only one step with the other foot.

Archiquette received the next kickoff and was downed by Wendell on the 19-yard line. Carlisle gained three yards on a direct pass to the right halfback, but was forced to punt after Leary had thrown Mt. Pleasant for a four yard loss on a fake kick. Foster ran back to the centre of the field after Brill and netted 14 yards in three rushes, steady gains carried the ball down the field and Leonard made the touchdown on a crossbuck from the 8-yard line, Wendell giving him good support. White kicked the goal.

Brill kicked off to Archiquette who was thrown by Leary on the 28-yard line. Carlisle was forced to punt, Gilder receiving the ball on the 35-yard line. After a loss resulting from Gilder's fumble, Leonard punted. Mt. Pleasant received the ball, which had been partially blocked, at the centre of the field, and ran through Leary, being finally downed by Gilder on the 12-yard line. In spite of a determined stand on the 1-yard line Sheldon made the touchdown on the fourth rush--Mt. Pleasant punted out and kicked the goal. Brill kicked outside on the 28-yard line and time was called.

The summary:

HARVARD  CARLISLEHall, Leary, l.e.  r.e., Lubo, RoyBrill, l.t.  r.t., ExendineBurr, Peirce, l.g.  r.g., LaRocqueWhite, c.  c., ScottKersburg, r.g.  l.g., Dillon, HuntSquires, r.t.  l.t., BowenMacdonald, Snyder, r.e.  l.e., WahooStarr, Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Mt. PleasantFoster, Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Archiquette, CharlesHurley, Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Albaney, SheldonPaul, Guild, Lockwood, f.b.  f.b., Dubois, Porte