BASEBALL WITH VERMONT

In First Game of the Season on Freshman Diamond Today at 4.

The University baseball team will play its first game of the season with the University of Vermont on the Freshman diamond on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Neither team has played any outside game this season and comparative criticisms are therefore impossible, but judging from available material and preliminary practice Harvard should win without difficulty.

Last year the University squad was composed largely of experienced men, and early practice was not considered necessary. Work began in the Cage on February 15 and was as a general thing unsatisfactory. Although the team began outdoor practice at about the same time as this season, it was less developed and the work as a whole was not satisfactory. The good development this year is due mainly to the fact that the inexperienced men were called out very early, and the coach had the squad better graded when outdoor practice began. Throughout the early work the fielding and base-running have been fairly satisfactory as the new men have worked hard and progressed accordingly. As long as the men were confined to the Cage no advanced work was possible, and since outdoor practice began less than a week ago the wet ground and cold weather have interfered with the work of the fielders.

But four men who played in the Yale series last year are now on the squad, and the shifting of McCarty from the outfield to first base makes his position somewhat uncertain. Leonard and Stephenson are reliable. Thus six positions are still uncertain and the ability of the new men has as yet had no real test.

The line-up of the University team this afternoon will be as follows: Leonard, 3b.; Simons, s.s.; McCall, 2b.; Stephenson, c; Pounds, r.f.; Hellman, c.f.; McCarthy, 1b.; Dexter, l.f.; Taylor, Green, Brennan, p.