NEW DEBATING CLUB SYSTEM

Upper-Class Debating Left Entirely to Individual Enterprise.

In accordance with a resolution passed by the University Debating Council on Thursday, November 7, to the effect that upper-class debating should be left to individual enterprise, an entirely new system of debating clubs has grown up within the University. In the place of the Agora and Forum of last year, there are now five independent societies, with a total membership of about 85. Two of them still retain the names of Agora and Forum, but they have been change constitutionally in the direction of informality. Debating has now become an essentially informal affair, and three of the clubs do not even have offices. The Agora and Forum, as they now exist, have 25 and 20 members respectively, and hold weekly meetings which have been well attended. H. W. Hines '09 and P. B. Carter '08 are their respective heads. Of the three other clubs, the largest and most successful is one originated by F. Schenck '09 and J. T. Addison '09' it contains some 15 members and hold informal discussions weekly. Another society, started by C. H. Raymond '10, contains 10 charter members and several new men, but has not met regularly as yet. Finally, a debating club has been instituted by E. R. Lewis 1L., and J. S. Davis 1L., and contains some 23 members. It met for the first time last Friday.

According to the policy adopted last month, the University Debating Council interferes in no way with the actual running of these clubs, but is always ready, upon request, to provide judges and crities for the their discussions.