SOCIAL SERVICE REPORT

Summary of Principal Phillanthropic Undertakings of past Year.

Reports of the various forms of social service work carried on through the Phillips Brooks House Association have been submitted, and a brief resume of the chief activities is given below, including the reports of the committees on entertainment troupes, clothing collections, and social service assignments.

Since October 11, 1906, there have been 23 entertainments arranged by the committee for institutions in and about Cambridge and Boston, which have been given on the average about twice a week. Eighty-four men have participated in these entertainments, each man going to from one to five. The committee during the last half-year was composed of N. C. Nash, Jr., '07, chairman; H. H. Perry '07, for the Glee Club; A. W. Reggio '08, for the Mandolin Club; H. L. Sigourney '08, for the Banjo Club; R. B. Gregg '07, at large. The committee for the coming half-year will be: N. C. Nash, Jr., '07, chairman; LeR. J. Snyder '08, for the Glee Club; A. W. Reggio '08, for the Mandolin Club; S. Powel '08, for the Banjo Club; R. B. Gregg '07, at large. The committee expects to continue giving entertainments until May 10, 1907, except during the period of the Easter holidays.

The clothing collections committee collected six cases of clothing and ten cases of books and magazines last spring and eight cases of clothing and nine cases of books this fall, which have been sent to the following institutions: Tuskegee Institute, Alabama; Cambridge Associated Charities; Morgan Memorial, Boston; Seaman's Friend Society, Boston; St. Mary's Mission for Sailors, East Boston; Cambridge Hospital; Holy Ghost Hospital, Cambridge; George, Jr., Republic, Freeville, N. Y.; Salvation Army, Boston; City Prison, New York; and to various lighthouses, life-saving stations, and city mission houses.

The assignment committee, under the direction of F. S. Montgomery '08, since February, last year, has placed 105 men in positions where social service work could be done. Mr. C. W. Birtwell '81 has been at Phillips Brooks House each week, to consult with men who wished to do such work. He has seen about 50 men, all of whom he has placed in the positions for which they were most fitted. Of the 105 men placed at work by the committee, thirty have been assigned to teaching, nineteen to boys' clubs, eleven to visiting home libraries, nine to gymnastic classes, seven with juvenile courts and probation offices, and twenty-nine to other work. Last spring, investigation showed 152 men working in connection with 31 institutions, during the college year 1905-6, and of these, the Committee sent 57 men to 27 institutions.

Besides the three activities above summarized, other work has been done, including the collecting and loaning of text-books, the Sunday afternoon entertainments, managed by the different class committees; receptions to the Freshman class, and to the Chinese and Japanese students, publishing 2000 Harvard handbooks, information bureau and a number of addresses and conferences.