PROFESSOR CLEMEN'S DEPARTURE.

It is, perhaps, unfortunate that Professor Clemen's lectures here this half-year have been of a nature to appeal to a restricted class of men. Through no fault of the representative from Germany we have been unable to accord him the reception which his reputation and services would justify. His courses have, however, been of inestimable value to the men who have been able to profit by them; and we hope that he will not leave Cambridge with the impression that his efforts have met with poor appreciation. The professors who come to us from Germany offer subjects which, under our elective system, are of interest to a limited number of men, and their reward must come from the realization of the fact that their influence will not die with the men who have been closely associated with them.

In accordance with Professor Francke's suggestion, we hope that Professor Clemen's last few days at Harvard will be peculiarly pleasant. He has devoted to our interests a half-year of untiring work, and for that reason, even more than for his position as Germany's representative in the annual interchange of professors, he deserves our heartiest admiration. How can we show this better than by attending the last lectures which he will deliver before this University-at least in his present capacity? We thus qualify this statement because we hope that the representatives of the German universities will all go home with the idea that at some future date they may return to this country and to Harvard.