CAPTAIN BURR'S INJURY

The injury to Captain Burr, which at first appeared to be merely a wrench of the arm, has proved to be more serious. On closer examination it was found that the shoulder itself was badly injured and one or two of the ligaments torn. This being the case, it is impossible for him to play against either Carlisle or Dartmouth, but it does not prevent the possibility of his being able to play against Yale at New Haven on the twenty-first. The tearing of the ligaments which has taken place will take considerable time to heal, but it remains to be seen how rapidly they will knit together again. From present indications it seems to be about an even chance that he will be in the line-up in the final game.

This presents a problem for the coaches and the team which is hard to overestimate. To be deprived of a linesman of three years experience, whose kicking alone, measured in terms of ground gained, is invaluable, and in addition, a real leader and captain--it is hard to imagine a more serious blow. The two games in the coming fortnight will test Harvard's strength to the limit, and with Burr out of the line-up it will be doubly hard. It is hoped that he will be able to play the Yale game, at least for part of the game, but the immediate question is to develop a guard and a man who can hope to hold his own against good punters until then.

On Saturday, the team played without him and showed an ability to forget their handicap, which was capital. There was a splendid aggressiveness and determination evident, culminating in the rush which scored the touchdown, and which moreover was the best executed attack seen on Soldiers Field by a Harvard team in several years. In spite of certain failings, some of which were marked, there was an admirable quality in the way they went about their work and that is the secret of good teams. Moreover it signifies the way they will accept the handicap in the coming two weeks, and gives one confidence that the situation is by no means hopeless.