MEMORIAL HALL.

The Harvard Dining Association is in an embarrassing situation, the importance of which has been very little realized, but which has grown more and more serious despite the untiring efforts of those, responsible for its management. The failure of the present plan to appeal more generally to the University has led some even to suggest the undesirability of maintaining large dining associations at Harvard, a suggestion which none of us will accept without far more conclusive proof than we yet have.

It must be admitted that under present conditions the number of men from whom Memorial Hall can ever hope to draw is decidedly limited. Club tables, Randall Hall, and the Union all take their share; but even so there are enough men left who, under a more suitable system, would find Memorial Hall a very valuable adjunct to the University. The fact that they have not done so proves, not that the hall has become unnecessary, but that it has not satisfied the needs as it should. Price of board, quality of service, dislike of paying for meals never eaten, have all been partially responsible. Until the disadvantages are done away with, the hall will not draw as it should, and until it does become refilled, it cannot work at its best. It is a two-sided problem.

What then should be done? It has been suggested that members of the Association be given regular table d'hote meals, thus avoiding the waste involved in the enormous outlay, and that they have the privilege of signing on by the week or paying by check for separate meals. There is nothing original in the scheme; it has worked successfully at many club tables. The CRIMSON believes that it should be attempted as the best plan yet suggested, if combined with a real effort to make the service the most efficient possible.

It does not follow, however, that this is the only solution of the dilemma. The object of the present canvass is to get the opinion of the whole University, and this can only be done if everyone takes an interest in the problem. The CRIMSON is willing to help in every way possible and will welcome any helpful suggestions.