ALLEN BASKETBALL CAPTAIN

Elected Yesterday.--Outlook Favorable for Better Team Next Year.

At a meeting of the University basketball team yesterday afternoon, Erastus S. Allen '09, of Glendale, Ohio, was elected captain for next year. Allen was right forward and captain of his Freshman team which defeated Yale, and has been regular right forward on the University five for the past two seasons.

Although this basketball season has been one of misfortunes and mistakes, the mistakes were such as it seems likely will be overcome or avoided in the ensuing season. Injuries and continual changes resulting therefrom have tended most of all to break up effective team play this year.

The team will lose only two men by graduation this spring: C. Almy, Jr., '08 and O. A. Wyman '08; but it will have this year's strong Freshman team to draw from, so that the number of available men will make keen competition. The problem will be to find a centre. At present the alternative possibilities for the position are Browne, whom it may be found necessary to shift from guard to centre, and Wellmann of this year's Freshman team who, with more experience, will prove a valuable man. The two forward positions are well provided for; Allen and Currie have played together for three years, Scribner won his "H" this year, and Jamerson '11 and Miller '11 have shown possibilities as forwards. The guard positions also will be sharply contested for by ex-Captain Brooks, G. G. Browne, S. H. Brown, Webber, captain of the Freshman team this year, and Dow '11.

The following won their basketball "H" this year: E. S. Allen '09, C. Almy, Jr., '08, P. Brooks '09, S. H. Brown '10, G. G. Browne '10, E. S. Currie '09, H. Fish '10, P. B. Francis '08, W. F. Scribner '10, and O. A. Wyman '08.