RECLAIMING SOLDIERS FIELD.

Side by side with the crying need for a new gymnasium stands the necessity of more improved land for the promotion of our ever-growing intracollegiate athletics. The increasing interest that has been taken of late in that kind of sport is a most healthy manifestation, which deserves, in the estimation of the most ardent supporter or the most vehement opponent of intercollegiate athletics, every possible encouragement. And yet, of Soldiers, Field only 24 acres, or less than half of its total area, are available for use. The cricket team was driven out of existence by the pressure of other teams, and worst of all, as our need increased out of all proportion to our resources, the Leiter Cup baseball series became history.

Last year the Joint Committee for the Investigation of Athletic Sports recommended to the Athletic Committee that the debt on the Stadium should be paid off as rapidly as possible, and when paid, that gate receipts should be cut down sufficiently to leave just enough surplus to improve gradually the grounds and buildings. The Committee was there fore confronted by a recommendation that made virtually impossible any great widening of the athletic scope for some years to come.

We now realize, and the Committee as well, that athletics for the greatest number are more important than a prompt payment of the Stadium debt. Investigations are being made of the expenses involved in reclaiming the rest of the Field, and, in view of the present attitude of the Harvard authorities on athletic questions, permission should easily be obtained to disregard a recommendation that operates against intracollegiate athletics.

In order to carry out the policy of the Athletic Committee it will be necessary to maintain our present surplus for some years. By advocating an absolute abandoning of subscriptions the CRIMSON did not wish to deplete the treasury. On the other hand, we have stated that in our opinion a blanket ticket to all Harvard contests would more than make up the loss. Whatever method of financing is followed, however, we sincerely hope that the future will see Soldiers Field in a condition to receive, without overcrowding, all of our intercollegiate and all of our intercollegiate teams. If such is to be the case, now is the time to begin.