HARVARD AND THE WEST.

When the University Musical Clubs embarked from Cambridge last December, it was aptly said, "Harvard's invasion of the West has begun." And now we learn that not only is the invasion begun, but it is well under way, for the Pierian Sodality has obtained permission from the Faculty to make an extended tour during the spring recess.

Harvard's national character has been the subject of much profitable discussion, and from a graduate's standpoint her position in the country, and even in the world, is probably her greatest asset in a recent editorial the Bulletin pointed out our many national features--the faithful work of the Alumni Association in promoting the cause of the University throughout the land; "our intimate relations with the German and French universities, our scientific expeditions" to the remotest corners of the earth, and the wide territory from which our students are steadily drawn.

To all of these the undergraduates will agree heartily; but there is another consideration, probably the most important of all in determining our ability to draw students from distant states, that the graduates are too much inclined to overlook. As affairs stand today the western man is at a great disadvantage in the undergraduate community, partly because he is not known by preparatory school connections. The disadvantage is by no means insuperable--indeed it is easily overcome by a man of some congeniality and the average amount of energy.

Undoubtedly the remedy for a state of affairs, whose existence to some extent we must admit, lies in a dignified appeal to the men whose presence here will give the undergraduate community a truly national scope. The more western men we get of the right stamp, the greater will become our prestige; not only among the graduates, but among the sub-freshmen, who will learn through their Harvard friends of the overwhelming advantages of the life at this University.

Toward this end we believe the University is following the proper course. Trips by professors and speeches at western Harvard clubs bring loyalty to the hearts of graduates and increase our academic reputation; but in no way can the younger generations be reached, except by an actual invasion by the undergraduates themselves. Their testimony on the breadth of opportunity involved in four years of life at Harvard will be heard by the younger generations, who, after all, are the ones we need most to reach.