Award of Prizes in Boylston Competition

At the final speaking for the Boylston Prizes in elocution held in Sanders Theatre last evening, the first two prizes were awarded to T. C. O'Brien '09 and O. L. M. H. Lyding '09, and the second prizes to H. Hurwitz '08, D. Rosenblum '08 and M. Allen '08.

The speaking was all of a very high standard and the delivery was clear and accurate. The declamations for the greater part showed signs of careful training and were well received.

The order of speaking, which was determined by lot, was as follows: E. T. Wentworth '09, "The Passing of Arthur," Tennyson; O. F. Shepard '08, "The Death Penalty," Hugo; H. Hurwitz '08, "Oration at the 250th Anniversary of the Founding of Harvard College," Lowell; W. A. Fotch '09, "Speech at the Unveiling of a Statue of Daniel Webster in Washington," Lodge; G. I. Lewis '08, "Peroration of Burke's Speech against Hastings"; C. A. Whipple '09, "On Webster's Speech in Reply to Hayne," March; T. C. O'Brien '09, "Napoleon the Little," Hugo; M. Allen '08, "Speech in the Senate, April 13, 1898," Foraker; O. L. M. H. Lyding '09, "The Subjugation of the Philippines," Hoar; D. Rosenblum '08, "Peroration of Speech on the Philippines, delivered in the Senate, May 22, 1902," Hoar.

G. G. Ball '08 introduced the speakers. The judges were C. F. Adams, 2d, '88, W. C. Bates '77, superintendent of schools, Cambridge, W. Endicott, Jr., '87, A. D. Hill L.'94, Hon. Francis C. Lowell '76, J. Warren '97.