BOAT RACES WITH YALE

New London Regatta on Thursday, June 25.--Development of the Crews.

The annual Harvard-Yale boat races will be rowed on the Thames at New London this year on Thursday, June 25. The race between the University eight-oared crews will be rowed upstream over the four-mile course, and will start at 5.30 o'clock from the New London railroad bridge, finishing opposite "Red Top." The race between the University four-oared crews will start at 10.30 o'clock in the morning and will be rowed downstream, probably from the Navy Yard to the New London railroad bridge. Directly after the finish of the four-oared race the Freshman eights will also row downstream from the Navy Yard to the bridge. In case of a postponement the races will be rowed the following day at a time that will be agreed upon by the two captains. No postponement, however, will be made unless it is absolutely necessary on account of the condition of the water. In former years the University four-oared crews have always rowed over the two-mile course above the Navy Yard. The course below the Navy Yard is considerably better, and it is probable that this will be used for both two-mile races this year. On the afternoon before the other races the Freshman four-oared crews will race for a mile, and two crews composed of graduates of at least two years' standing will race for the Graves cup.

The outcome of the University race cannot be predicted with the present unsettled condition of the Harvard crew, and much depends on the work of the next week. The four-oared race ought to be won by Yale, but the Harvard Freshmen will probably win their race easily. In the Freshman four-oared race the contest will probably be close, but the Harvard graduates ought to win against the Yale graduates as in the three other years that there has been a contest.

Development of the University Crew.

The development of the University crew this year has been somewhat different from that of the other years that Coach Wray has had charge, inasmuch as the crew was chosen much earlier than before and more attention was paid to the training for the short preliminary races than has been the custom previously. This change of policy has worked well, and has seemed to benefit the crew rather than harm it. From last year's eight there were five veterans and the coxswain to start with as a nucleus. The problem at the beginning of the year was to fill the seats at stroke, six, and bow left vacant by the graduation of E. Farley '07, R.L. Bacon '07, and R.M. Tappan '07, respectively.

The men were called out soon after the mid-year examination period, and, after a small amount of preliminary work in the tank at the University boat house, went out on the Charles for the first time on February 21, about a month earlier, than last year. The most difficult task was the selection of a stroke. At the beginning of the season, E.C. Bacon '10, and C. Morgan, Jr., '08 were considered the most probable candidates for the position, but in March Sargent was tried out and since the 28th of that month has been stroking the crew regularly. To fill the bow seat R.M. Faulkner '09 was moved from his previous position at 3 and W.R. Severance '09 was shifted from 5 to 8. To fill the vacancy thus left at 5, J.E. Waid '10, who had rowed 6 in the Freshman crew last year, was selected; and E.C. Bacon '10 went into the boat to fill the seat occupied by his brother last year at 6. After the recent withdrawal of Fish from 2, E.C. Cutler '09 was tried out in his place and will probably stay there permanently. He has not the strength or endurance of Fish but is showing up fairly well.

The race against the United States Naval Academy crew at Annapolis on the Severn on April 22 was won by the University crew by a narrow margin ever a two-mile course, after a bad start. The fact that Harvard rowed a slower stroke than Annapolis throughout the race speaks for itself. In the Cornell race the Harvard crew out did itself in most inauspicious water. Thus when the eight went to the Thames this season, it was in a much more fully developed state than it had been for a number of years. Fish's suspension will handicap the crew enormously, but the new combination may develop good speed by Thursday.

Yale, on the other hand, has been slow in developing this year. New men have had to be found for stroke, 5, 4, 2, and coxswain, but the veterans were not shifted from the seats that they held last year. At New Haven Yale was hampered by poor weather and rough water for a long time, and even after going to Gales Ferry there has been considerable complaint on account of rough water. The Yale crew this year is a well-balanced, smooth-moving combination. The men can send their shell along with considerable speed and in New Haven are considered the best crew that Yale has had in a number of years.

A comparison of the Harvard and Yale crews, however, does not result in favor of Yale. Physically the Harvard crew appears to be superior, and in experience there is little advantage on either side. The stroke-oars in both crews have never rowed in a four-mile race. Griswold of Yale stroked the Yale winning four-oar last year, while Sargent, the Harvard stroke, rowed two on the Freshman crew. In form, however, Sargent is the superior man of the two. His stroke has a better proportion and the rhythm is decidedly more even. The stroke that Yale is roivipg this year, as in the past two years is longer in the water than Harvard's, so that Harvard will have to row the faster stroke to win the race. The Harvard crew get their hands away faster on the recovery than Yale, and their leg drive is collectively better, although Yale has the advantage of a longer body swing.

The Harvard four-oared University crew suffered a severe shock the other day, when a general shake-up occurred. The crew rowed in one order for the first week at New London, and with only ten rowing days left before the race a shift was made. As a result the Yale four-oar has considerable advantage. Also, the greater length of the Yale four-oar stroke gives the men an added point in their favor, for the length of a stroke in a four oar is of greater importance than in an eight.

The make-up of the University four-oar has not yet been definitely decided on, owing to Morgan's suspension and Cutler's removal to the eight. P. Withington '09 and R. Ellis '09 will probably row at 3 and bow respectively. F.A. Reece '09 and G.G. Bacon '08 are being tried at stroke, and S.A. Fahnestock '08, R.S. Lovering '08 and Bacon at 2. M.A. King '10 will coxswain the crew.

Although the Yale freshman eight has nothing like the clean form of the Harvard 1911 crew, the men have developed considerable speed. The Harvard Freshmen are fortunate in having a very good man at stroke and ought to win their race without much difficulty.

The officials for the race have not yet been all decided upon. W.A. Meikleham, of Columbia, will act as referee and C.H. Schweppe '02, the chairman of the Harvard-Yale Regatta Committee, will be in charge of the course, which will be policed by the United States Revenue Cutter "Dexter," in command of Captain Sill.

The orders:

Harvard University eight--Stroke, Sargent; 7, Richardson; 6, Bacon; 5, Waid; 4, Lunt; 3, Severance; 2, Cutler; bow, Faulkner; cox., Blagden.

Yale University eight--Stroke, Griswold; 7, Ide; 6, Howe; 5, Dunkle; 4, Hunt; 3, Rice; 2, Peyton; bow, Auchincloss; cox., Cass.

Yale University four oar--Stroke, Wallis; 3, Miller; 2, Robbins; bow, Townsend; cox., Rand.

Harvard Freshman eight--Stroke, R. Cutler; 7, Hooper; 6, Taton; 5, L. Withington; 4, Waite; 3, Whitney; 2, Forster; bow, Shillito; cox., Fales.

Yale freshman eight--Stroke, Livingston; 7, Goodrich; 6, Frost; 5, Baker; 4, Patterson; 3, Van Blarcon; 2, Jeffrey; bow, Thorne; cox., Fearing.

Harvard Freshman four-oar--Stroke, O. Richardson; 3, Jowell; 2, Smith; cox., Reece.

Yale, freshman four-oar -- Stroke, Bogue; 3, Holloway; 2, Coburn; bow, Davis; cox., Maxwell.