DR. CHAPMAN'S MEETING.

This afternoon Dr. Chapman and Mr. Alexander will conduct an evangelistic meeting in Sanders Theatre for the members of the University. Their coming, sanctioned by authoritative consent, indicates in Harvard a desirable toleration in matters of religion and a belief that a common spirit may be expressed in many ways and in many creeds. They are not the first evangelists who have visited the University, for Moody, Booth, Drummond and others have preceded them.

Unfortunately, but in some respects justly, the term evangelism has come to smack of sensationalism and emotionalism. Such is not the purpose of the true evangelist; he aims to present the truths of Christianity simply, directly and convincingly. We may not all approve of the methods of reaching men and women adopted in revival meetings, and we may not even understand an appeal that finds its way to more demonstrative natures. But although we cannot grasp its full significance, we can surely sympathize with an endeavor which aims, as we believe Dr. Chapman's does, to bring about such practical results as the strengthening of the moral fibre and the fostering of a higher integrity in our civic governments.