THE PROPOSED STUDENT COUNCIL.

On another page of the CRIMSON is printed the constitution of the proposed new Student Council. The powers of the new Council remain the same as those enjoyed by the old. The striking difference between the two bodies is in organization. The fundamental weakness of the old plan with its large and, consequently, unwieldy membership is eradicated in the new. A large advisory body with a small and, therefore, effective executive committee is the ideal arrangement.

The only apparent weakness of the new plan (and this is one that can easily be eliminated), is to be found in that part of the explanation of the new Council, which reads:

"The ratification of this plan remains for the respective classes and will be done by voting for members of the Council from their respective classes in the coming week."

This, of course, is no ratification at all. To have elected Washington first president of the United States before the Constitution which created the office of president was ratified and adopted is an analogous instance.

Since the proposed constitution reads: "The attainment of this purpose is to be effected in part by direct jurisdiction over individual students . . ." it can readily be seen that it is necessary that the new Council be formally adopted. It would certainly be extraordinary for a body of undergraduates to acquire "direct jurisdiction over individual students" by any means other than that of having the majority of the students confer such power.

This weakness can easily be removed by inserting on the class ballots a clause reading: "Do you ratify the proposed constitution of the Student Council?" The adoption of some such system would give the new Student Council the advantage of the just and lawful foundation which is essential to its successful operation.