NORTHWEST AND RAILROADS

An Authoritative Lecture by Mr. Howard Elliott '81 in Union Last Night.

Mr. Howard Elliott '81, president of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company and a member of the Board of Overseers, lectured in the Union last night on "The Northwest and Railroads."

Mr. Elliott outlined at the start the beginning of his own career, and confessed that he had been singularly fortunate in the men under whom he had worked.

He then went on to point out the vast possibilities of the northwestern part of the country. Certain measures must be taken to develop this region, such as more thorough cultivation, less extravagance, and better transportation facilities. The railroads have succeeded in this country by close attention to problems of traffic and by the utilization of the materials at their disposal. There is, however, great room for economy in the existing methods. It is only by careful management that the railroads can take care of the growing West. In order to do this, extravagance and waste must be cut down. The greatest problem for the manager is to make the best use of his present equipment. This may be done by taking advantage of the utmost capacity of the rolling-stock and by preventing small leakages.

Not only the Northwest but the Southwest and the South, as well, have great natural resources. For their proper development adequate transportation facilities are essential, and are already imperatively needed.