NOCUOUS DESUETUDE.

A mortifying state of affairs in class rowing has been called to our attention by the communication printed this morning. It is unfortunate that there is not enough interest in the sport to make keen the competition for places on the upper class crews, but it is disgraceful that members of any crew should refuse to row because the regular make-up of the boat is incomplete. Of course, this reluctance to row with the crew broken up is not, as the writer of the communication supposes, from "a certain athletic snobbishness," but because it is hard work to row with new men in the boat, who throw it out of rhythm. There is no excuse for deferring class crew practice on this account, except the laziness of members of the "first crews," and it is the duty of each class crew captain to deal with such an attitude in the manner which it deserves. In short, it is his duty to see to it that his class has a crew on the river every day, and that this crew, moreover, is the best that the class can put out. It would cause some comment, we imagine, if the members of the University crew should refuse to row because some of their number were unable to attend practice.