1913 AND NEW ELECTIVE SYSTEM.

On another page will be found the details of a circular issued by the Committee on the Choice of Electives offering the present Freshmen an opportunity to enroll themselves under the new elective system, which will be obligatory for the class of 1914. In substance, these new rules provide for the concentration in one field of study of approximately one-half of the work necessary for a degree, and the diffusion of the remaining courses over three other fields.

The purpose of this new system has been concisely stated by President Lowell: "The object to be obtained is twofold: first, to require every student to make a choice of electives that will secure a systematic education, based on the principle of knowing a little of everything and something well; second, to make the student plan his College curriculum seriously, and plan it as a whole." Another quotation from the same source expresses the need of this new plan and the evils which its adoption will eradicate: "Many of the undergraduates, no doubt, choose their courses wisely; but there are a number who do not devote enough time to one subject to master anything thoroughly; and there are others who concentrate too much, who leave some of the principal fields of knowledge untouched, and graduate without a broad intellectual outlook."

It is admitted by the Faculty that this system is not perfect. Moreover, under the present unrestricted elective plan a student can frame for himself as good a schedule as the new system provides, and, indeed, many men have done so. However, for the great majority of undergraduates the change must prove a notable gain. "So long as the student is told that any 16 courses are, in the opinion of the College authorities, equivalent to any others, it is natural he should often be careless in their choice, and that he should seek the path of least resistance."

The new plan, however, sets a standard that is authoritative and one that appeals to a man's good sense. For the sake of the present Freshmen themselves, it is to be hoped that there will be a very general acceptance of the new system.