Harvard Launches Third Sexual Misconduct Climate Survey

Divinity School Student Government Calls On Harvard to Divest from ‘Illegal Occupation of Palestine’

PRES. LOWELL AT SMOKER

SPOKE ON IMPORTANCE OF SENIOR DORMITORIES AT 1913 MEETING.

The second Junior class smoker of the year was held in the Dining Room of the Union yesterday evening. President Lowell, the chief speaker of the evening, prefaced his talk with a short history of the Senior dormitory movement, relating stories of the experiences of his own class, to illustrate the importance of class unity. The first step towards establishing Senior dormitories was made nearly twelve years ago when Mr. Lowell and other members of the Faculty decided to get together and try to induce more Seniors to live in the Yard. The chief difficulties in starting this plan were gradually removed by installing modern washing accommodations and plumbing, including steam heat, in the various dormitories, and finally by allowing men to group together, thus giving groups of friends opportunity to room together in the same entry or building. It was not, however, until two years ago that the scheme was finally made a practical success through the efforts of the class of 1911. The object of the Senior dormitories has been to unify Senior classes by giving men the opportunity to get to know each other better. This opportunity is one whose importance men do not always realize while in College but which they appreciate more and more after their graduation.

President Lowell pointed out further that the Senior dormitory plan is by no means a compulsory one and that it is a question which classes must decide for themselves. He added, however, that he and other men connected with the College feel that it is greatly to the interest of college men to make as many friends as possible and that since Senior dormitories have proved so successful in this with the two former classes, its value to the class of 1913 is assured.

H. L. Gaddis '12 spoke of the Senior dormitories from the point of view of men who are now living in them, telling the advantage in having 400 class-mates grouped within easy reach of one another.

R. T. Fisher '12 spoke of the actual working of the plan and the method by which rooms are assigned. The system of allotment has worked well heretofore and few changes are necessary this year. As all applications are handed in marked with a fictitious name, the system is absolutely fair to all men, and makes it impossible for the Senior Dormitory Committee to show favoritism to certain applicants.