Harvard Launches Third Sexual Misconduct Climate Survey

Divinity School Student Government Calls On Harvard to Divest from ‘Illegal Occupation of Palestine’

THE GRADUATE TREASURER'S REPORT

On the first page of this morning's issue the CRIMSON publishes the annual report for 1910-11 of the Graduate Treasurer of Athletics. It seems to us that it is the duty of every Harvard man to read these figures and ponder them carefully.

Most significant of all is the loss of $10,823 in the year's business. In 1909-10 there was a profit of $3,627, in 1908-09 a profit of $2,766, and in 1907-08 before the present management came into office there was a credit balance of approximately $26,000. Not only has there been a gradual decline in profits but now for the first time in many years we face a decided loss.

In connection with the report the Athletic Committee publishes an explanatory statement. Therein to the development of minor sports and the abolition of popular subscriptions is attributed much of the loss. Figuring the difference between receipts and expenditures of the University minor sports in the past two years, approximately $3000 more was spent in the latter period. It is generally recognized that most of the money raised by popular subscriptions came from the Freshman class. The receipts from Freshman athletics in 1908-09, when the subscription system was in force, were about $3300. Last year Freshman athletics yielded $1005, hence subscription may be credited with approximately $2300. Therefore, the two main causes of loss as stated by the Athletic Committee account for roughly $5,300. A profit of $3,627 in 1909-10 and a loss of $10,823 in 1910-11 makes a difference of $14,450 in the balances of the two years. Do the two reasons advanced in the Committee's statement fully cover this deficit? We do not, of course, in any way whatever question the reliability of the report but merely inquire whether the reasons cited by the Committee satisfactorily explain the situation.

Although the report does show a decidly unfavorable condition in dollars and cents, we realize that the present management has had great difficulties with which to cope. We believe that we now possess a system of athletics for the many, of which everyone must approve. To establish a policy of rigid economy in all its departments should be the continual aim of the Athletic Association.