THE SQUARE DEAL.

The student in Dean Briggs's "School, College, and Character" whose name began with Y, who never received a good seat in a lecture room in his life, still has many sympathizers. Of the big lecture courses in College there is hardly one where the seats are allotted otherwise than alphabetically; A's in the front row, Y's, and Z's, if any, in back. After all is said and done bout the student who is here to work deriving all possible good from College no matter where he sits, there is a distinct handicap in having one's name begin with Y and being relegated to a far corner of the room. No one who has ever sat in the balcony of the Chemistry Lecture Room in Boylston will deny it.

In some colleges having a prescribed curriculum, an alternating alphabetical system of seating all classes has been tried; A's in front at 9 o'clock recitations, and in back at 10, and so on; but this plan would not apply so successfully with the elective system. However, if a few more instructors would depart from the time honored custom of assigning seats now in use, it would make the matter more nearly right. There is little danger of so many of them changing as to reverse the present order and place the man catalogued under A in the same disadvantageous position as the man under Y occupies today.