PROMINENT HARVARD ALUMNI

Statistics Show Many Graduates Have Served Their Country in Very High Positions.

Statistics have been compiled by Charles Franklin Thwing '76, President of Western Reserve University, showing that the majority of the great public men in the United States have been liberally educated.

Of the twenty-seven Presidents, fifteen have been, college graduates. Of this number, three--John Adams 1755, John Quincy Adams 1787, and Theodore Roosevelt '80--have graduated from Harvard. Of the Vice-Presidents, on-half were liberally educated. John Chapman Geary, M.'77 and Elbridge Gerry 1762 represent the University on this list. A large majority of the Cabinet have been college men. Twenty-seven of the forty-one Secretaries of State graduated from some college and five attended for a year or two. Harvard is well represented in this list, having four graduates--Timothy Pickering 1763, John Quincy Adams 1787, Edward Everett 1811, and Robert Bacon '80. There have been three graduates Secretary of the Treasury--Samuel Dexter 1781, William Adams Richardson '43, and Charles Stebbins Fairchild '63.

The ranks of the diplomatic service have been filled largely by college graduates. Harvard has contributed by far the largest number, those of the greatest prominence being--John Adams 1755. John Quincy Adams 1787, Elbridge Gerry 1762, Rufus King 1777, George Bancroft '17, Calbe Cushing '17, John Lothrop Motley '31, James Russell Lowell '38, John Chandler Bancroft Davis '40, and Joseph Hodges Choate '52. In addition George Downing 1642, went to England and became minister to Holland for Cromwell and Charles II. His name is perpetuated in Downing street.