EXETER TENNIS CHAMPION

SEMI-FINALS IN SCHOOL TOURNAMENT PLAYED, FINALS TOMORROW.

Exeter has won the twenty-second Harvard interscholastic tennis tournament, having 15 points already to its credit, and one man left to compete in the final match for the championship.

Exeter made a clean sweep in the early rounds of the tournament, and had two men left in the semi-finals. With 14 points to its credit, Exeter made sure of retaining the school championship won last year, before the semi-finals began. Volkmann and Malden are tied for second with 5 points each, and St. Mark's and Rogers High are tied for third with 4 points each.

In the matches yesterday afternoon C. Herd, of Exeter, the Junior Pacific coast champion, defeated G. C. Caner, of St. Mark's, 1-6, 6-3, 6-0, after an unsteady start, and A. S. Peabody, of Malden High defeated J. A. Gee, of Exeter, 6-4, 3-6, 8-6. Herd usually plays a slashing game, somewhat after the style of McLoughlin, with very swift service. He placed poorly at the start yesterday, however, and his unsteadiness cost him the first set with Caner, who was placing very well. Caner soon lost his steadiness, however, while Herd got control of himself and placed his drives much more effectively.

In the other match, A. S. Peabody, of Malden High, defeated J. A. Gee, of Exeter, 6-4, 3-6, 8-6. Both were somewhat unsteady during the first two sets, but Peabody played brilliantly at times, and his final match with Herd, which will be played on Jarvis Field on Wednesday at 2 o'clock, should be very interesting.