NORTON FELLOWSHIP TOPICS.

Candidates May Choose From List of Eight Greek Studies.

A committee representing the department of the Classics has made announcement of the Charles Eliot Norton Fellowship in Greek studies, competition for which is open to all students in Harvard and Radcliffe. The annual income of the fellowship is $800. The award will be made on the basis of (1) a thesis on a subject approved by the committee and (2) such other evidence of scholarship as may be accessible. In special circumstances the committee may at its discretion dispense with the requirement of a thesis. No account is taken of the financial means of competitors; and no award will be made if none of the theses offered are of sufficient merit. The incumbent of the fellowship must agree to pursue his studies for the year of his incumbency at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. The following subjects are proposed by the committee:

(1) The expression of pathos in Homer.

(2) The dramatic art of Menander.

(3) The ritual hymns of the Greeks.

(4) The drawing of character in Aeschylus and Sophocles.

(5) The romantic element in the later Greek epic.

(6) Greek conservatism as illustrated in comedy.

(7) The influence of Euripides upon the New Comedy.

(8) The adventures of Ulysses in the work of the Greek vase-painters.

Candidates moy, however, with the consent of the committee, write on other classical subjects.

The editors of the Harvard Studies in Classical Philology will have the right to publish the thesis of the successful candidate. Applications for admission to candidacy must be made to the chairman of the department of the Classics, Professor C. H. Moore, not later than December 1, and theses of approved candidates must be presented to him not later than February 15, 1914. Further information may be obtained from the committee, Professor H. W. Smyth, Professor C. B. Gulick, and Professor G. H. Chase.