PRESIDENT LOWELL ON "CHOICE OF ELECTIVES."

The cause of the large number of misspent college courses is to be found primarily in an irrational and haphazard beginning. Few are the students, who, starting out with no definite plan of study in their mind and no inclination to form one, ever cease their academic meanderings in order to follow a rational scheme of mental training. As they begin, so they end, intellectual skirt-dancers. To avoid such lamentable wasters of educational opportunities, the system of concentration has been put into force. This afternoon, the founder of the scheme, President Lowell, will speak to the Freshmen on the "Choice of Electives," and will explain to the its purpose and possibilities. No one is better qualified than President Lowell to tell the men of 1916 how to employ to greatest advantage the educational opportunity now offered them, and no time is more suited than the present for the Freshmen to hear this talk and to profit by it in preparing their plan of study for the next three years.

In addition to the talk by President Lowell, Dean Thayer of the Law School will speak on "Law as a Profession." A great many students have the hazy notion that they would like to practice law; here is the chance to hear an eminent man tell what the profession requires in training and ability and what attractions it offers as a life work.